jerky recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobber Down

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a recipe I tried for the first time and it is awesome...took a batch to deer camp and it didn't last long

Venison Jerky Sugar Cured
5 lbs. Venison cut into strips
1 1/2 cups Sugar
2 tsp. Brown Sugar
5 tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Seasoning Salt
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Black Pepper
1 tsp. Red Pepper (optional )
1 oz. Liquid Smoke

Mix venison with sugar
Mix all other ingredients together and mix in venison
Refrigerate 6 to 8 hours
Smoke at a maximum of 200 degrees until completely dry

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Here I am, foundering on chef boyardee, and you have jerky right down the road???

Help a fella out here!

Rest easy, didn't have any in the stand, I was foundering at home. Black coffee and deer jerky in the woods are recipe for sheer disaster that only Ridge Hunter could appreciate.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I make my jerky with ground deer and Neso spice and curing salt . I've been using their spices for years now , I like it best out of all the different ones I have tried . You can find their complete list on line at Nesco.com. I like original ,mesquite , Andouille , Cajun , they have several others .

1-800-288-4545 or www.nesco.com

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made some about 30 years ago that turned out better than anything I've ever had then or since.....my uncle still asks me when I'm going to do it again. This may be the year!

Here's what I did: Big turkey basting pan. Froze my meat then as it was about 1/2 thawed, I cut the meat into 1/8-1/4 slices anywhere from 4-8" long. I was told years ago the key to any good jerky is the "base", so that's where I started. 6 cans of apple juice, 2-3 beers, bottle of Lea & perins Worcestershire sauce, bottle of soy sauce, bottle of teriyaki sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, Cheyenne pepper and several other spices that my mom had in the cupboard. Let it all marinate overnight and then laid strips on cookie sheet and cooked in oven for at about 200 degrees for 2-4 hours.

It turned out fabulous. Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Top Bottom