Kids... Do They Ever Listen?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back quite some time ago, we purchased a male Miniature Pinscher, and after a time, we decided he needed a companion, so we went looking for a female. We found one that was pretty rambunctious and decided those two would fit together pretty well.

As we were paying for her, the lady told us that she was glad that we were getting her. She knew we had a good yard and a pet door that would allow "Lady" to go outside easily. She also told us that a couple had originally bought her, but they lived in an apartment, so the only running she could do was inside. Since the pet store didn't do refunds, they exchanged that little beauty for a bird....

....tell your kids to get a bird and forget the dogs.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We see this over and over again in the dog rescue world. You’d be amazed at the number of people that will spend enormous amounts of money on a dog and then decide it is too much trouble. My wife refuses to adopt dogs to young couples, almost invariably the dog is returned.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back quite some time ago, we purchased a male Miniature Pinscher, and after a time, we decided he needed a companion, so we went looking for a female. We found one that was pretty rambunctious and decided those two would fit together pretty well.

As we were paying for her, the lady told us that she was glad that we were getting her. She knew we had a good yard and a pet door that would allow "Lady" to go outside easily. She also told us that a couple had originally bought her, but they lived in an apartment, so the only running she could do was inside. Since the pet store didn't do refunds, they exchanged that little beauty for a bird....

....tell your kids to get a bird and forget the dogs.
Except parrots! If you think a dog is too neurotic and demanding, a parrot is like a stage 5 OCD super clingy potentially psychotic but sometimes in a fun way girlfriend.

Wanna go on a trip? They have to stay in their home space and probably wont like whoever comes to check on them so they will pull their feathers out.
Wanna move to a different house, school division, or just use their room for an office and move their cage to a different one? They may pull all their feathers out.
Do you not have 70-85 years of life left in you to see them through to the end of theirs? They will pull all their feathers out.

I absolutely love dogs and cannot stand to see one that acts like it is abused or neglected. I am also a huge softy for animals. My wife and kids wanted dogs so bad when we moved into the new house so I explained the trade offs to them. The responsibility, the difficulty finding someone that can watch them if we wanted to take a long trip we enjoy so much, the cost, the need for a fence, etc., etc., etc. Now I am the one that lets them out at 6:15 every morning, manages all of their food, water, interaction outside to burn off some steam, and stays behind so the wife and kids can go on trips if we dont have a family member that can watch them while we are gone or it is for too long for me to feel comfortable dumping them on someone else. I think they thought I was exaggerating when I gave them the run down of how I think our animals should be treated and cared for, they really just wanted accessories to the home.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Except parrots! If you think a dog is too neurotic and demanding, a parrot is like a stage 5 OCD super clingy potentially psychotic but sometimes in a fun way girlfriend.

Wanna go on a trip? They have to stay in their home space and probably wont like whoever comes to check on them so they will pull their feathers out.
Wanna move to a different house, school division, or just use their room for an office and move their cage to a different one? They may pull all their feathers out.
Do you not have 70-85 years of life left in you to see them through to the end of theirs? They will pull all their feathers out.
Sounds like parrots are just perverts and look for any excuse to get nekked. 🤣

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We see this over and over again in the dog rescue world. You’d be amazed at the number of people that will spend enormous amounts of money on a dog and then decide it is too much trouble. My wife refuses to adopt dogs to young couples, almost invariably the dog is returned.

I volunteered at a shelter in Colorado for over 20 years...eventually wound up being elected as VP on the board of directors. Between that and 15 years as a cop, I've seen how inhumane people can be. That's reason #8,627 for why I like dogs so much more than most people.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I volunteered at a shelter in Colorado for over 20 years...eventually wound up being elected as VP on the board of directors. Between that and 15 years as a cop, I've seen how inhumane people can be. That's reason #8,627 for why I like dogs so much more than most people.
Stupidity and neglect are bad, I really hate criminal abusers. The guy in the photo is Dante, a Neopolitan mastiff. He was a guard dog for a meth cook. Dante spent most of his life living outside on a log chain, looking mean. When his owner was killed in a drug deal gone bad, he made his way to us as a hospice dog. His condition was among the worst we have seen. He looks like a hellhound, he is actually a very sweet natured dog once he accepts you.

Attachments

• 3F7A1C80-F761-4D5A-9737-782E584822DB.jpeg
    3F7A1C80-F761-4D5A-9737-782E584822DB.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom