Legalizing Marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know I was thinking. IF they legalize marijuana in Oklahoma won't they have to change the 4473? It has been a while since I bought a gun, BUT I seem to recall a question that asks something along the lines of:

"Are you a user/ or addicted to the use of marijuana or any controlled substance?"

Am I correct here or have they changed the wording in the last 3 months? Thanks.

Just a thought that occurred to me by the way........ NOT trying to start a legal or religious debate.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not at all - the 4473 is a Federal form and the question would still be valid in reference to Federal laws. Right now if you are using marijuana in Colorado - legal under state law - you can fail your background check for a gun purchase.

Since marijuana possession is illegal under Federal law, state law is irrelevant to the 4473.

BTW - if you do use marijuana and answer "no" to the drug use question - you will then be guilty of lying on the 4473 which is itself a crime.

Disclaimer - I am not a lawyer but since so many lawyers and others freely give their opinions on military matters I thought I'd just pipe-up (no pun intended) on this question.

Latest posts

Top Bottom