List of things needed for deer hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to learn to take a deer. The adult hunting guidance I had as a kid was all quail hunting so that's what I did. Now, as I'm in mid-life, I have a primal desire to take a deer. I have some loose "connections" that I think/hope I will be able to find a place to hunt. However, I want to know a basic list of things I need so I can buy them if I do not already own them. Below are some things I can think of or have. I am not going to get into camping supplies and 4wd and such as that would make the list too long...I have that stuff already. I want the specific things a person would need for gun deer hunting. Please comment on any items already listed, as well as any missing items:

- 308 rifle/scope & proper cartridges (sighted in @ 100yrds or what?)
- sidearm? (in case need to put injured deer down. If so, is .22 legal JUST for putting down?)
- license & proper tag(s)
- coveralls, gloves, etc.
- hunting boots
- bright orange vest/hat
- sharp knife
- gut hook knife?
- flashlight
- binoculars?
- scent eliminator? (is this a must?)
- deer stand?
- tarp? (to haul kill in back of SUV)
- a place to take the deer for processing?
- something to hang the deer with? (is this required for cleaning)

Also, if I have limited access to the land, do I need to put out feed and if so, when/how often? If I feed do I need a feeder or can I just dump it? Can I hunt without feed if I only get access to the land during hunting season?

I had wanted to do this this year for the first time (been wanting to for 5yrs) but life is so busy another year has come & gone so I am going to start preparing NOW for next season. Unless someone tells me when rifle season is and how "easy" it would be for me to go this year LOL.

Thanks in advance men

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be curious to read this too as this is my 2nd year going and I'm still not sure I know what I'm doing.

I sighted in at 200, most show that to be ideal. Puts you (generally) about 2" high at 100 and is a good range.
I use a range finder in place of binoculars. Dual purpose. I skinned my deer last year without a gut hook knife. I dont see why that would be necessary.
For clothes...LAYERS. You'll warm up walking out there so may just carry a jacket or coat so you dont sweat on the way out. If you do, you'll freeze if you get wet. Thats all bad.
I carried a .357 Smith with me. If you conceal carry I'd just use whatever your normal sidearm is.

How far away is your hunt from the place you'd cut up the deer? If its warm, I'd quarter it pretty quick and put it on ice asap although others may say its not necessary.

tbowe91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
- 308 rifle/scope & proper cartridges (sighted in @ 100yrds or what?) - 2" high at 100 yards is what I do, good for dead on at 200 yards.
- sidearm? (in case need to put injured deer down. If so, is .22 legal JUST for putting down?) -
From the regulations, but another shot from your rifle works:
Centerfire handguns:
Chambered for .24
caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier
soft-nosed bullet having an overall cartridge
case length of 1.25 inches or longer are legal
(.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length
of 4 inches.

- license & proper tag(s) - also now your bag limits.
- coveralls, gloves, etc.
- hunting boots
- bright orange vest/hat
- sharp knife
- gut hook knife? - not required, some like them
- flashlight
- binoculars? - depends on the type of land, helpful
- scent eliminator? (is this a must?) - get a bottle of sport wash and play the wind (your sent not blowing to where you think the deer will come) is good enough.
- deer stand? - depends on your land. Have places where hunting from ground as good as stand.
- tarp? (to haul kill in back of SUV)
- a place to take the deer for processing? - do my own now, but many on this site can help depending on your location.
- something to hang the deer with? (is this required for cleaning) - nice aide, but it easy enough on the ground for gutting.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any vehicle is fine.
I do not use a 4 wheeler.. just gut on the spot and drag it out.
Or quarter it or debone it and stick in an ice chest with wheels and drag that out.

I take a knife and rope with me along with my gun and ammo.
Coveralls are nice if the weather is cool.
Gloves are nice also.

If I can't fit the stuff I need in my pockets i do not head into the woods with it.
No binoculars No cent cover up no stand.

If I can't see the deer with my eyes i probably can't shoot it.
Cent cover that is best is to make a small fire from sticks and leaves before you head out that morning and walk around in the smoke.
I actually used my pee to attract deer to a spot to shoot them.

Buddy took a leak many hundred yards from where he was hunting and way past his shooting ability with any rifle.
2 hours later deer came out and sniffed his pee pee.

Next morning I put it to the test, I took a leak on a trail I was hunting. i was 40 yards from my pee and 2 deer came to investigate in about 1.5 hours.

Movement scares them..SO stay still and quiet.. that is the best thing to do.

If you get spotted the deer can stand still and stare much longer than you can.
Learn to chuck like a squirrel when you are spotted and the deer will relax and look away.

No gut hook needed.
You do not even need to gut one if you process the gutless method..Look up how to do that.

I do cattle that way and hogs..split the hide down the back. never need to hoist them into the air.
It is actually very clean that way.

EDIT.
If you plan on shooting 200 yards you need to plink at paper at 200 yards to make dang sure the load stays together .. never assume.
If you shoot at 100 then plink paper at 100.
I suggest plinking at 25 and 50 yards at paper also just to know exactly where your shot will land.

many times hunting thick brush there will be a deer show up 150 yards through the brush you have an opening about the size of a slice of bread to send the bullet through and hit that deer in the vitals.

If you think you can shoot at 100 yards and zero that gun and expect a certain drop or trajectory at 150 or 200 to follow book math you may get a rude surprise.
Barrel whip and harmonics along with ammo temp and barrel temp make a huge difference in shot placement.

I reload and shoot my loads in below freezing to 100+ temps and know where the shot will land all the way to 500 yards.
Most of my deer are shot under 75 yards though.
Just saying you should practice the shots you think you could take.

Last edited:

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a cheaper knife with a gut hook but after using a havalon piranta I gave it up. As soon as I harvest I gut and quarter pretty much right away. I just believe the meat is better the sooner you can get it gutted. I generally don't hang it up, seems to be more work than I really need to do since I can get everything I need done with it on the ground. I'll pack the quartered meat out in my big pack and have it in the ice chest covered with ice within a hour or two. I open the drain and keep the meat on ice for about three days then turn it over to the wife. She gets out the knives and slices and dices it the way she wants to since she's going to be the one mostly cooking it up. It is work but not too hard to does save on processing and ensuring you get your own deer meat.

Things I've used most in the last several years are a good head lamp, ragwool gloves, and my muck boots. Of course a good rifle/muzzle loader and bow are a necessity if you plan on hunting all seasons. I hunted several years without a stand or blind. Had cover from trees and round hay bales. Now I have a nice little metal blind on the land where I hunt and often reflect back on how I suffered a few of those cold rainy days.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom