Metric system isn't half bad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only two things of note I would add, a printer with auto bed leveling makes for much less headache (more expensive though) and match your printer to your use. If your printing gears, you probably will not be using the more common PLA as your material. ABS, PETG or Nylon is more likely with PETG being the most probable. I believe the Ender 3 will do PETG, but BReeves can correct me if I'm mistaken.
You are correct on both counts, I have one printer dedicated to PETG and one dedicated to PLA. Both are Aquilas bought before I understood the shortcomings. Now they are basically Enders with several additions/upgrades. That is one of the great things about the Ender and clone platform. They will work great right out of the box then you can get goofy if you want with additions.

I kinda went over the deep end, I can see and control either printer from this tablet while sitting on the couch, they are out in a separate building and have wireless connections to my network. Tons of YouTube on the platform and additions.

I spent about 6 months and allot of money trying to get a good print with ABS, finally gave up and decided it wasn't worth it. Just recently discovered PETG which has it's quirks but at least I am getting usable prints. PLA is great and should be the first choice. PLA+ is a little stronger and prints just like PLA. PETG is stronger yet and will take heat like making a cup holder for your car that won't melt.

Having a 3D printer opens up a whole new world on what you can do. If it will work made out of plastic, you can make it.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I see on my tablet, this is my PETG printer. Screenshot_20211202-173022.png

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are correct on both counts, I have one printer dedicated to PETG and one dedicated to PLA. Both are Aquilas bought before I understood the shortcomings. Now they are basically Enders with several additions/upgrades. That is one of the great things about the Ender and clone platform. They will work great right out of the box then you can get goofy if you want with additions.

I kinda went over the deep end, I can see and control either printer from this tablet while sitting on the couch, they are out in a separate building and have wireless connections to my network. Tons of YouTube on the platform and additions.

I spent about 6 months and allot of money trying to get a good print with ABS, finally gave up and decided it wasn't worth it. Just recently discovered PETG which has it's quirks but at least I am getting usable prints. PLA is great and should be the first choice. PLA+ is a little stronger and prints just like PLA. PETG is stronger yet and will take heat like making a cup holder for your car that won't melt.

Having a 3D printer opens up a whole new world on what you can do. If it will work made out of plastic, you can make it.
Octoprint?

Edit: Yep, I can see it now that I'm on my monitor. I used to have a machine dedicated to ABS, it was a Monoprice enclosed model. The enclosure is vital for ABS.

Last edited:

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure about the 767 but any Boeing or McDonnell Douglas planes are SAE. Had 1 chance to work on an Airbus about 1991 just to take a wheel off, all the mechs asking if anyone had a 25/32" or 27/32" (can't remember which) socket, don't know where I acquired it but I had one. Still not sure if it was Metric or just that odd ball size, never had the chance to mess with an Airbus again.

Edit to add, much easier using SAE in tenths, hundredths and thousandths. Metric SUCKS when trying to figure threads per mm, is it .75, .8,1.0, 1.25 or 1.5? SAE can tell in a glance fine or coarse.

VTDW1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL...I have some asst metric tools just so I can work on some things. When I was in Jr High (yes I am old) they told us the Metric system was the new way. BUT NO ONE EVER TAUGHT IT TO US S so I am ignorant but get by.😉

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My one problem with metric is engine size!
Give me a 350, 427, 460, this 5.0, 5.8, 7.3, 7.5 BS doesn't sound right.

Otherwise, just pick 1. Went to change brake pads on Wif's car. 4 wheel disc, 2 belts per caliper. Easy peasy. NOOOOOO!
1 belt is 7/16", the other is Allen head . Well, isn't that stupid. To get to it, need to turn tires. Then, turn the other way, to get to caliper on other side. Ok, just do it. BUT, the Allen head is *%%÷× METRIC!
And NOT standard metric, but 8.5mm.
No, tool set has 8.5mm.

Good ole okie engingeering, have a 3/8" drive Allen 9"" and a grinder. Take a little off each side until you have 8.5mm. Or go but a Snap-On for $45.

Latest posts

Top Bottom