Morels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My buddy and I went to the spot where I found the mother load after our fishing trip.

Not one new one. I'm needing to do some reading how they germinate, spread, whatever, and become more informed.

Does one leave the "foot" in the ground. Do they reproduce from spores?

Dunno. I'll check it all out.

I know that some guys go beyond the mesh bag for gathering. They take several buckets and do a first rinse of the morels over the bucket saving the rinse water. They then take the buckets back out to the field and pour the water around stumps, logs etc. Effective..............I have no idea.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for someone willing to take me out on a Morel hunt .. located in Tulsa .. will to drive to meet up.
Please PM ... thanks in advance!

I hate to tell you this, but most morel hunters would typically give up their first born vs give up the location of their honey holes.

My advice is to go to the nearest public hunting area and look back in this thread and determine where others see them.

Personally, I've never seen one under a cedar tree, but some say that is where they look.

My buddy and myself always find them under dead or almost dead elm trees.

Take that info and get into the woods! Amazing what you will find. Skulls, sheds, etc. :D

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a whole mess yesterday in NE OK. They were all dead already. I'm worried it may already be over here. I managed to save one or two out of a bunch but most of them were already flat laying on the ground like a dehydrated balloon.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I found a whole mess yesterday in NE OK. They were all dead already. I'm worried it may already be over here. I managed to save one or two out of a bunch but most of them were already flat laying on the ground like a dehydrated balloon.

:cry11: Cycle complete though and mycelium ready for the next batch!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Morels, meatballs, and spaghetti on the menu tonight.
Had morels sauté'd in butter on a burger last night.

Anybody ran them through a dehydrator? I have 2 gallon bags of them left.

image-2294557206.jpg

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Morels, meatballs, and spaghetti on the menu tonight.
Had morels sauté'd in butter on a burger last night.

Anybody ran them through a dehydrator? I have 2 gallon bags of them left.

View attachment 29078

I have a buddy that has had great luck with the dehydrator. He just soaks them in saltwater for a few hours when ready for use and they come right back to life. I haven't ever found enough to give it a shot.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
nope but my mom takes rolls them in fluor cornmeal mixture and deep frys them about half way done,then freezes them,when get ready just throw them in deep fryer while in frozen state for just a little bit and they are ready so very good,i take catsup with just a little mustard and mix it up for a dipping sauce.i really like them for breakfest with eggs and bacon

Latest posts

Top Bottom