New to Reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Read through the FAQ's posted in this section, and answer as many of the questions asked as possible. That would help us to narrow down what would be the best fit for you to start with.

I started with a couple Lee presses (on loan from my F-i-L). I still use them even though I've now added a Dillon 550 progressive, and an RCBS RS-5 single stage.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
For the low volume shooter, who shoots both rifles and pistols, I'd recommend the Lee Turret. You can load reasonable volumes without wanting to pull your hair out (ask someone who has a single stage about loading pistol rounds in quantity). And it will allow you to load rifle rounds. You can use the press as an auto-indexing turret for volume, or removed the indexing rod (easy, no tools) and use as a non indexing turret.

The following items get you set up for the first caliber. Total is about $275. Just add components.
Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition Revised Reloading Manual $18.29
Lee 4 Hole Turret Press Autodex Value Kit $112.99
Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 9mm Luger $38.49
Lyman Turbo 1200 PRO Sifter Case Tumbler 110 Volt $51.99
Lyman Turbo Brass Cleaning Media Treated Tufnut (Walnut) 12 lb Box $20.49
Hornady Electronic Caliper 6 SS $19.99
MTM Universal Reloading Tray Compact 50-Round Plastic Gray $4.99
Lee Powder Funnel 22 to 45 Cal $3.49

Upgrades:
Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure $38.99
The standard Auto-Disk works alright, but the Pro allows you to shut off flow and remove the hopper without removing the whole meter. This comes in handy if you have powder left over after you're done loading.

Adding calibers.
For each caliber you want to add, the simplest way is to buy the 4 Hole turret, and then dies. All you need. I would recommend dedicated powder meters, but not necessary. It just makes switching calibers easier.
For example, add .38/.357:
Lee 4 Hole Classic 4 Hole Turret Press Turret $11.99
Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 38 Special 357 Mag $38.49
Add .223:
Lee 4 Hole Classic 4 Hole Turret Press Turret $11.99
Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set 223 Remington $28.99
Lee Auto-Disk Rifle Powder Charging Die 22 to 30 Cals $10.99

lilboots

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, I have learned as I start to get into reloading, most manufacturers of powders, and even some bullets have a complete table online for how much powder of what kind for each bullet and weight. So I am going to pull all that information off the websites. Might be annoying at first if you dont know what type of powder and bullet you want to use, but the good thing is they keep it updated for free.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are you loading for? How many rounds do you intend to go through? For a few boxes for a hunting or varmint rifle and maybe a revolver or 2 a single stage is the best option. The cost can be reasonable and it can still pay for itself pretty quickly.

If you go through a lot of ammo such as heavy shooting with semi autos a single stage setup may disappoint you. High volume loading can eat up a ton of time with one and a progressive would be the way to go. The learning curve is steeper since there are a lot of things going on at once but by keeping the pace down a little you can get the hang of it.

Get a good reloading manual and read it. Just about any of them will give you the correct idea on the process. For a single stage rig, most O-frame presses with compound leverage will do. Get a quality scale with whatever you buy. For a progressive, there is a reason so many people buy a Dillon in spite of it being probably the most expensive rig out there.

Regardless of what you start with, avoid distraction, be meticulous, and be deliberate in every step.

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you need more than one manual....make the current Lee one of them, think its the 2nd addition....everyone else has covered the press options but I believe a kit makes more sense...you have evereything you need...nothing like getting started and finding you're missing a piece of equipment...I use a single stage and it is slow-- but it works for me....I just load 50-60 rounds at a time and shoot every 2-3 weeks...you will enjoy....dont forget to lube the bottle necked cartridges...dont ask....:scream:

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep a M1 Garand, a 1911, two .38spl, and an AR15 fed with an RCBS Rock Chucker, other guns too but i dont target shoot much with them. Not a super high volume shooter but, when I get range time I make good use of it. Its what my dads boss gave me when I was 14 or 15 to load for .22 hornet and .45LC that at the time i couldnt buy ammo for just anywhere. Still using lot of the same equipment but did add a few things.

Going to upgrade to a higher volume press soon. May try the lee turret first to see if will suit my needs/volume before dropping the hammer on a hornady LnL progressive or a dillion. Precision rifle and anything approaching MAX loading will stay on the R.C.

As for manuals. I like the hornady manual LOTS! but i shoot several hornady bullets in several calibers. It is also very informative I think I think it explains alot of things very well. I also have a speer book that I use a good bit. Next two on the list will be a serria and a nosler book.

Create a data book of the loads you load and keep notes. I write down EVERY load i load even if I just do it once to test something. Test it and record what happens so you know to continue on or no mess with it. I record everything, case type/brand, bullet, powder, charge, primer, type of die, crimp, OAL, projected velocity in the manual, starting and max load, page and edition of the manual. Think that is everything. I write it all on that green engineers paper, put in a plastic sheet in a binder with dividers separated by caliber and gun it is or is to be shot in.

If was me starting out again, RCBS rock chuker kit with speer manual, add a hornady manual, case tumbler, salad bowl and noodle strainer to sift media (starting using it and still using it... hey it works :P ), case lube, and then get some glad-wear, or rubermaid containers to seperate cases and ammo if dont want to buy fancy cartridge boxes by MTM or something.

Anyhow thats my 3 cents.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look into a turret press. I have a couple of Lyman T-Mags. Redding makes a really nice one. Lee is the cheapest, and there are others I don't know as much about. The good thing about turrets is that once you have all your dies adjusted, you don't have to remove/readjust them as you do different stages of the reloading process. And, if you get into lots of calibres, you can add turrets and never have to readjust any dies.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lyman 49th edition is a good choice for a book, since no one else has mentioned it. I also have the Lee 2nd edition, then I buy the Hornady manual in magazine form once a year.

I've never used anything but Lee equipment. One thing I don't like is their powder scale. Everything else I've been happy with. I load .223, .243, .44-40, .45ACP and .45-70. Like some of the others, the Lee 4 hole turret is a good starting place.

I have had trouble with Lee priming systems, but I've finally gotten the bugs worked out.

My list of equipment is: C frame single stage, 0 frame single stage, 4 hole turret and the 3 hole progressive, plus several of the old Lee Loaders. And a LoadAll for 20, 16, and 12 gauge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom