New to Reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetiredNavy

Marksman
Reaction score
I am looking to start reloading my own shells. What is the best press for a beginner and are there any books that you recommend so I can learn about the powder as well.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is what I would get. This is all the basics you need to start producing some nice reloads. This would be a great beginner kit, but it's not just for beginners. My dad uses essentially this same setup and has been for the past 35-40 years. It is what I reload on. I think speer and nosler make the best manuals, but there may be other good ones that I haven't used. The reloading manual will tell you what powder and how many grains they recommend. Start with this, learn the basics of reloading and see what you think before you go drop big bucks on a dillon or lee.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/646599/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-single-stage-press-master-kit

Also, you will need to purchase the dies for whatever caliber you are wanting to reload.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, I see you are from Enid. I will warn you that Bill's is overpriced on their RCBS items. I have nothing against Bill's and have bought several guns from them, but I would find a good deal on a press and accessories online.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man o man, you just opened up a can of worms. There are several reloading manuals out there none of which I can remember the name of. There is one written by Lee that is supposed to be the best for beginners.
As far as presses go any "O" shaped press will get you going and last forever. You can find hours and hours of stuff on you tube if you have the time.

By the way, Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, I see you are from Enid. I will warn you that Bill's is overpriced on their RCBS items. I have nothing against Bill's and have bought several guns from them, but I would find a good deal on a press and accessories online.

I thought that they changed their name to something else. I was in there when they had a grand opening a couple of weeks ago and they had some good prices on a lot of things. But to each their own.

To the OP, find someone near you that might take you under their wing to give you pointers and such.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to pour the Blue Kool-Aid and say look into Dillon. It depends on what you're going to load and how much of it. If all you're ever going to load is pistol ammo, check out the Square Deal "B".

For both rifle and pistol, check out the Dillon 650 with the automatic casefeeder.

Both of these reloaders are progressive and the best thing you can do is READ the directions before you use them.

Dillon's "No BS Warranty" is great. There have been several occasions when I've broken something and told them up from that it was my fault and they told me, "no problem, we'll take care of it."

The only thing they won't cover is decapping pins.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Has had a new owner for three years, they just had their three year celebration a few weeks ago. RetiredNavy, only 20 min from Enid if I can ever help you out.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best advice I can give is go right now and buy a copy of the ABC's of reloading. Read thru it. It is the best beginner book and has tons of information on every aspect of reloading, including powder types and burn rates.

As far as equipment the RCBS chucker kit is great. It will last for ever. I would bet 9 out of 10 guys that shoot rifle and have one of the high dollar Dillions still have a single stage on their bench they used. 7 of those guys probably own a RCBS rockchucker.

It has a lot to do with what you plan to reload. If you are a hunter and want to work up accurate loads for your rifles the single stage press is the better choice. If you are high volume pistol shooter the Dillion is probably more practical. The Dillions are set up to load volume. It can be done on a single stage. I have loaded a 1000 pistol rounds on my single stage in a weekend. Everytime I do it I swear I will never do that again without a progressive press. Six months later I do it again.

The ABC's book is a great reference tool. This forum is a great resource also. Lots of great guys that load for specific purposes and know what they are talking about. Good luck. Don't forget to chime and let us know how it is going.

The figures stated above are guesses. I bet they are close though. :naughty:

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit a couple years ago, great starting setup imo. Out of the manuals I bought I really got the most out of the Lyman. I also agree with what Johnny said about getting a dillion if you are going to be shooting a lot of pistol rounds. I load 400-500 in a day or two and I am seriously looking at adding a Dillion progressive to the growing list of toys that "save me money"

Latest posts

Top Bottom