Oklahoma grocery stores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airpowmech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think part of the problem that prevents us from quality grocery stores like HEB in Texas relates to our liquor laws. The better margin for grocery stores in other states is made to some extent by selling hard liquor and wine at the grocery store. Oklahoma needs to revise our ridiculous liquor laws.
I don't think the liquor laws has anything to do with it, because in PA there is a lot nicer stores and they can't sell any kind of alcohol. Now I know Kroger pulled out of PA because of the liquor laws but they are the exception. Now on the other side Indiana doesn't have has many nice stores as PA, but more than OK. In Indiana the grocery stores can sell everything but hard liquor, except on Sunday.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cut throat business. 2-3% profit. Don't know why anyone would start a new one.

Depends on the department, local wages, and the local market. GP generally ranges from 30-60% in most departments. What eats into that are local wages and the shrink due to theft, incidents, or lack of local demand.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've only found 2 grocery stores I like. Crest and Firelake. Crest for the choice and Firelake for the meat.

Walmart has a great return policy on their meat and beer.

Just wanna mention that Country Boy market is a local place, they do a real service for my community, so I usually spend my money there.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the liquor laws has anything to do with it, because in PA there is a lot nicer stores and they can't sell any kind of alcohol. Now I know Kroger pulled out of PA because of the liquor laws but they are the exception. Now on the other side Indiana doesn't have has many nice stores as PA, but more than OK. In Indiana the grocery stores can sell everything but hard liquor, except on Sunday.

It probably has more to do with the consumer and the price they are willing to pay for quality. Let's face it, many in Oklahoma only want least expensive due to either what they can afford or are just inherently very frugal. I believe that selling liquor in the stores would offset some of this and would attract other chains. I suspect Indiana is a lot like Oklahoma in that regard.

A side note, PA has some weird liquor laws as well. I drove to a couple of convenience stores looking for beer only to find-out that I had to go to a bar and purchase a carry-out 6 pack.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the department, local wages, and the local market. GP generally ranges from 30-60% in most departments. What eats into that are local wages and the shrink due to theft, incidents, or lack of local demand.

Trust me it ends up being 2-3%, based on high volume to make it.

Sent from a cellular device.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys might have or have not known...

Uptown Market is the higher end of Buy For Less....and if my little birdie told me correctly they're going to slowly phase out Buy For L3ss amd just have Uptown Market.

I really don't see that working in some areas of Okc...but who am I to second guess.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Walmart has a great return policy on their meat and beer.

troll.me_images_kells_oh_no_you_didnt.jpg

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have been to Sprouts and Whole Foods, one time, that's it. HEB has some nice stores in TX ,wish they would come here ,prolly never will. Will go to Trader Joes when they open. I remember Atlanta had some nice stores when we were there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom