Oklahoma Is Leading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several paths to college for people with lower high-school GPAs. It isn't the rule-out that it used to be. Those paths allow these students to demonstrate scholastic ability outside of (in spite of) their HS GPA.

Norman681

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You guys are all wet. We passed liquor by the drink, the lottery and gambling and taxing cigarettes and you guys must have forgotten house bill 1017. Consolidation would help but no one is going to vote for someone to kill their school and thus the town....

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it goes back to how do you choose who goes to vo-tech? if kids do not have exposure, parents all(most) .....

That is the problem today. It is always college, college, college. There wasnt another option and honestly I think some students in my class could of benefited from it. I know some that are just now getting their life in order because they wasted 2-3 years struggling through community college then real college then just to drop out with debt and figuring out there are other options like trades. I know I could of used it. Im still lost honestly; luckily I got a good job now but it wont last forever it will be come obsolete in the next 10 years if it doesnt get so over run with people that the pay isnt worth it first which I fear also might happen to me. Anyways teachers wont push anything but college, I remember my home ec teacher getting into an argument with a student about everyone should go when he had a career in the navy lined up. If I recall correctly he owns a successful auto repair facility in Kansas now. She said even a mechanic needed to go for a bit... Im not saying it couldnt hurt but the fact that some are so insistant on it. From my own experiences of going to college it is only good if you do engineering, computer science, medical fields, accounting or very specific business degrees otherwise you better make the best grades and get great internships if you do any other major.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is the problem today. It is always college, college, college. There wasnt another option and honestly I think some students in my class could of benefited from it. I know some that are just now getting their life in order because they wasted 2-3 years struggling through community college then real college then just to drop out with debt and figuring out there are other options like trades. I know I could of used it. Im still lost honestly; luckily I got a good job now but it wont last forever it will be come obsolete in the next 10 years if it doesnt get so over run with people that the pay isnt worth it first which I fear also might happen to me. Anyways teachers wont push anything but college, I remember my home ec teacher getting into an argument with a student about everyone should go when he had a career in the navy lined up. If I recall correctly he owns a successful auto repair facility in Kansas now. She said even a mechanic needed to go for a bit... Im not saying it couldnt hurt but the fact that some are so insistant on it. From my own experiences of going to college it is only good if you do engineering, computer science, medical fields, accounting or very specific business degrees otherwise you better make the best grades and get great internships if you do any other major.
I will agree that everything in school is orientated towards college.
I talk to students all the time about career fields that you do not need college for. I know other teachers do the same thing. I have lots of students come talk to me about the military as an option. We have a careers class that has white collar and blue collar people come in to talk about what they do and earning potential.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will agree that everything in school is orientated towards college.
I talk to students all the time about career fields that you do not need college for. I know other teachers do the same thing. I have lots of students come talk to me about the military as an option. We have a careers class that has white collar and blue collar people come in to talk about what they do and earning potential.
Anyone got any suggestions on what I could do. I am slow to learn things but once I get it I excel at it and think of nothing else on how to improve it or make it faster if possible.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, if republicans are to blame for all the educational ills in OK, who gets the blame for this?

75% of black California boys don’t meet state reading standards

http://www.dailynews.com/social-aff...fornia-boys-dont-meet-state-reading-standards
http://www.dailynews.com/social-aff...fornia-boys-dont-meet-state-reading-standards
Because Dems are so good to black Americans.

This isn't a racial difference (although the media likes to frame it that way)...it's a SES difference, and holds across the nation. Differential performance by SES is a much different issue (and not directly "fixable") than under-paid teachers (directly fixable).

Latest posts

Top Bottom