Oklahoma voters approve Sunday liquor store sales measure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why should I have to plan my days around a ridiculous law. I am a grownup, if I want to buy a bottle of wine or tequila on Sunday that is my business not big brothers!! It is a silly unneeded law that never should have been on the books.
And WTH does medical MJ have to do with this question?

You still don't get the humor. I thought it was pretty known around here that I like giving the stoners a hard time.

As for the liquor stores being open on Sunday, I don't give a rat's patootie either way. But still, people have managed to buy enough liquor on Friday's and Saturday's in the past to last through Sunday, so what's the big deal?

Some folks here sure get their tails in a twist on occasion.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll lay some humor on you, some people (no one here of course) are so uninformed that they still think (or pretend to think) allowing liquor stores to open on Sunday is about availability of booze and not simply doing away with the ridiculously stupid requirement to be closed for no other reason other than imposed moral turpitude or religious righteousness.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll lay some humor on you, some people (no one here of course) are so uninformed that they still think (or pretend to think) allowing liquor stores to open on Sunday is about availability of booze and not simply doing away with the ridiculously stupid requirement to be closed for no other reason other than imposed moral turpitude or religious righteousness.
Your pretty much correct.
In 1907 prohibition was written into the Oklahoma Constitution. Just like MJ in recent times, there was the Billups Law, passed in March 1908, that provided for a dispensary system, and a few Oklahomans became "ill" enough to request "prescription" medicine (alcohol) from the dispensary.
Due to too many illegally gained "prescriptions" and booze everywhere that was bootlegged, the program was killed in 1911.
On April 7, 1959, Oklahomans went to the polls and contradicted Will Rogers adage that they would vote "dry as long as they could stagger to the polls."
Part of the passage was the blue laws that was insisted on by churches, and the prohibitionists. The Sabbath was for going to church and a day of rest, not for shopping, drinking or even hunting.
Over the years, the blue laws in Ok and other states have been voted out.
The ban on hunting Sundays is still in effect in some states, and was at one time in Ok. The theory was that farmers and ranchers would be in church Sundays, with travel to and from taking most of the day, so hunting was outlawed on Sundays while they couldn't guard their farms/ranches.
Just a little history I looked up.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way Back in time: Safeway & Humpty Dumpty were the two largest Grocery store chains in Oklahoma city and they were closed on Sunday.
When 7-11 came to town and was open on Sunday's Safeway & Humpty did the same thing.

You also could not buy Liquor Beer or Smokes in BETHANY OKLAHOMA under the old Blue Laws

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You still don't get the humor. I thought it was pretty known around here that I like giving the stoners a hard time.

As for the liquor stores being open on Sunday, I don't give a rat's patootie either way. But still, people have managed to buy enough liquor on Friday's and Saturday's in the past to last through Sunday, so what's the big deal?

Some folks here sure get their tails in a twist on occasion.
And you are one of them! LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom