Opioid Crisis in OK; Who’s to Blame?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is undeniably sad to learn of people becoming addicted, and even dying due to an overdose of these drugs. Who you think the responsibility falls on for this? The Big Pharmaceutical Companies, The Doctors who prescribed the drugs, Or the the individual who was prescribed them? Maybe there is another factor here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A representative visits a doctor and shows him a few cherry-picked studies. "Our research is exhaustive, Opioids are much less addictive when taken orally. Feel free to prescribe this miracle product much more liberally than you would have in the past. Let me buy you dinner."

I'm a big believer in personal responsibility, but the patient is the last link in that chain.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
100% on the individual imo.

Sorry, but no. When people take the prescribed amount they can become addicted. This isn't them just going "Oh, I'll take a few more than they say, it won't hurt anything". Plus, most people put their trust in the doc. My wife and I found this out the hard way. Her first doctor was a pill pushing asshat. My wife is obese due to bad decisions in the past (including her ex husband before me). 8 years ago we started really pushing to bring her weight down. She shed 75 lbs over 2 years. Then she got a cyst and went to this doctor on a recommendation. Found out she was type II (no real surprise there as it runs in her family). Well this guy put her on all these pills without explaining ANYTHING. One of them even said if you were over 45 consult your doc and if you are of Japanese descent do not take. She is half Japanese. The doc was like "Oh its fine, just take it". Six months later all 75 lbs came roaring back. Two of the pills she was taking caused weight gain, one caused balance issues, and the one that said don't take if your Japanese, it robbed her of her strength.

So no, this is not 100% on the individual and is why there are several large lawsuits going around. People were being misled by the docs who were getting perks to push these drugs.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A representative visits a doctor and shows him a few cherry-picked studies. "Our research is exhaustive, Opioids are much less addictive when taken orally. Feel free to prescribe this miracle product much more liberally than you would have in the past. Let me buy you dinner."

I'm a big believer in personal responsibility, but the patient is the last link in that chain.

It's been going on for over 30 years, so personal responsibility should be the first link I would think, especially today. It's the "it won't happen to me" mentality that's killed millions of folks over the years with drugs, alcohol, seat belts, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom