Opioid Crisis in OK; Who’s to Blame?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's like the responsibility of the guys cleaning-up after 9/11. The EPA told them that the air was safe to breath, and they believed it. Well, that's on them. It wasn't Whitman's responsibility to tell them the truth, it was their responsibility to know that she was lying.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, but no. When people take the prescribed amount they can become addicted. This isn't them just going "Oh, I'll take a few more than they say, it won't hurt anything". Plus, most people put their trust in the doc. My wife and I found this out the hard way. Her first doctor was a pill pushing asshat. My wife is obese due to bad decisions in the past (including her ex husband before me). 8 years ago we started really pushing to bring her weight down. She shed 75 lbs over 2 years. Then she got a cyst and went to this doctor on a recommendation. Found out she was type II (no real surprise there as it runs in her family). Well this guy put her on all these pills without explaining ANYTHING. One of them even said if you were over 45 consult your doc and if you are of Japanese descent do not take. She is half Japanese. The doc was like "Oh its fine, just take it". Six months later all 75 lbs came roaring back. Two of the pills she was taking caused weight gain, one caused balance issues, and the one that said don't take if your Japanese, it robbed her of her strength.

So no, this is not 100% on the individual and is why there are several large lawsuits going around. People were being misled by the docs who were getting perks to push these drugs.

I might have agreed with this 30 years ago, but not today. I'm not referring to your wife's circumstances, just the opioid situation and patient self awareness, it's not a secret that opioids are a dangerous path.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It's like the responsibility of the guys cleaning-up after 9/11. The EPA told them that the air was safe to breath, and they believed it. Well, that's on them. It wasn't Whitman's responsibility to tell them the truth, it was their responsibility to know that she was lying.

Yes I can agree with this 30 years ago when this was first coming to light.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that many doctors are really that easily influenced by some salesman in a cheap suit waggin' a free meal at Denny's in front of their face. Personally I think it is most often the individual patient at fault here. If I am prescribed (Name of Drug) to be taken 1 pill; 3 X per day, and I crush up 15 of them and snort them up my nose and die, it's my fault the way I see it.

Some of the doctors on here may respond, but don't you think they are smarter than to blatantly over prescribe opioids to people? Oh there are bad apples, sure, but let's talk in broader terms here. I have been taking opioids for years, and every time I get a prescription, I'm cautioned, and then there is my pharmacist, who is also in the link, double checking for interactions and things. But when I leave that counter with that pill bottle full of say...90 count of 30 mg Morphine tablets, it's up to me to take them as prescribed. If I gulp the whole thing down, and just stop breathing, how is that any one's responsibility but mine? Isn't that why it's called dope?

Edited: I also agree with the above, it's no secret to anyone that opioids are dangerous. It's just not.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Drug companies understating how addictive they were and encouraging over prescription. ( And some doctors who should have known better)

I have known since I was a preteen that opioids are highly addictive, we live in a society where everyone wants instant gratification and a pill to fix everything from pain, obesity to unruly children!! To say this is on big pharma is like blaming Ford, Chevy and Dodge for people speeding.
This rates right there with suing someone for killing your thug ass kid who was breaking in their house!!
If a kid is addicted to opioids look at the parents and adults look in the mirror.

But no, in this world it is always someone else's fault.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are addictive personalities and there are non addictive so the answer to the 'crisis' is better screening & monitoring by medical professionals and not deny the drugs for those who truly need them.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I 100% disagree ignerntbend, why do you think there are commercial's on TV for all these drugs. There sure not for the Dr., they are for us to run to the Dr. and tell them this is the pill for me. Addiction runs in my family, and as unpopular as this may be for me to say. Addiction is not a disease, 'Sorry'. Leukemia, Dementia is a disease. Popping pills is a choice, I will grant you once you get hooked your body has to have them, but you made the choice to take them.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is it drug addicts have to screw up everything for the normal guy? Want some sudaphed to stop that runny nose? Sorry you need BATF check, anal probe and last 3 years of taxes, its easier to get a freaking silencer than it is 36 sudaphed.

Need some Imodium, in the got bad diarrhea size? Sorry people were taking the 200 count bottles all at once to get high. So next time your belly is killing you, try and fight 2 of those little pills out of this package that was hermetically sealed by GOD! We promise your belly ache will stop probably before you get the damn pills out of the package. Oh and you only get 8 total.

Latest posts

Top Bottom