Overhead Garage Door Spring Just Broke in Broken Arrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreneKennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the two tension springs broke and door will still open/close. Should I wait til Monday and call one of the Overhead Door companies or should I round up parts and do myself? Watched a video and it doesn't seem that difficult to DYI.

Of course the video may make it more simple than I should attempt with the final adjustments.

If, I try, should I get springs kits locally or oline? Where?

I really appreciate suggestions

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I called Superior Overhead door when mine broke. He fixed the door, lined it all up so it didn't happen again, lined up the second door (moved both garage door openers so they weren't binding). Believe he charged me $85. I can't do it myself for that, my time is cheap but it ain't free!

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
after watching overhead door put one in my own house and paying an $80 instillation i say DIY. cost me $160 and I am pretty sure i could have done it myself in about 30 min.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$85 sounds about right for a single spring. If you have two you'll need to go ahead and replace both and that will double the price. Garage door springs are not too hard you just need the correct springs and a set of load bars and know how to do it safely. If you attempt it then make sure you follow the directions to the letter. Ebay has the best price on springs. Order the set that comes with the free set of load bars and make sure you measure yours properly and buy the exact same ones.

With that said, We dont do them any more. Found out the hard way that its better to give it to someone who does it for a living.

Here is a pic of our employee's finger after his battle with releasing a door spring. The bone is split in two places and turned 180 deg inside the skin.

i75.photobucket.com_albums_i295_tyromeo55_6a896a16.jpg

Rumur

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pro Overhead door is highly recommended. I had to call them on a Saturday and he charged me the weekday price. I am very mechanically inclined and I refuse to do one of those. Way too much tension.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had several of mine break over the years. It's better to replace both of them. Fix one then it's usually not long for the
other one to break. Also I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. There's lots of tension on them and one mistake and you could
get hurt bad. I let the experts do mine even though I think I could do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom