Pit Boss Smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, that's all the smoke ring I can get too. And if there's not a piece of that ring in the pulled mix, there's zero smoke taste.

We all have different tastes I guess, I get plenty of smoked flavor in my pulled pork, did even when I was using a Cook Shack electric smoker even though I didn't get as much of a ring.

And you might be surprised that:

"Although it adds no flavor, the pink band does look cool"

(quoted from a noted BBQ site, can be found on many of them...)

The smoke ring is actually a chemical reaction, you can use a variety of things to produce one in a non-stick burning smoker like a Cook Shack if you need that look.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now considering the RecTeq. Ugh, decisions decisions... I'm thinking I should get one with the WiFi feature and that if I don't, I'll regret it later down the road.

The WiFi is awesome.

Case in point, the cook for that brisket I showed ended at 4:30AM. I set my alarm, when it went off I rolled over, grabbed my phone, turned the grill off, and went back to sleep. Got up 2 hours later and the Brisket had a nice 2 hours rest already, let it rest a couple of more hours and it was ready to go.

Headed home from the store and want to grill, turn the grill on from the parking lot of the store, get home and it is ready to cook.

I wouldn't have one without it, I will say Recteq could improve the app in regards to alarms and monitoring the meat temps. I don't really use the temp probes, I prefer to use a stick thermometer instead.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We all have different tastes I guess, I get plenty of smoked flavor in my pulled pork, did even when I was using a Cook Shack electric smoker even though I didn't get as much of a ring.

And you might be surprised that:

"Although it adds no flavor, the pink band does look cool"

(quoted from a noted BBQ site, can be found on many of them...)

The smoke ring is actually a chemical reaction, you can use a variety of things to produce one in a non-stick burning smoker like a Cook Shack if you need that look.

I don't need the look just the taste lol. I can cut a center piece out of a stick smoked butt and a pellet smoked butt and I can guarantee you'll notice the difference.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We'll just use it as as a grill because as a smoker if you like bark and a deep smoke ring, you won't get that from a pellet smoker imo.
Yes you will, been doing pellet smoking 20 years and I get a good 1/4" smoke ring on a 12 hour smoke with any beef. Poultry not so much but the skin on a bird prevents that.
I also use the wedge if I want more smoke.
il_794xN.2481008546_2hao.jpg

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The WiFi is awesome.

Case in point, the cook for that brisket I showed ended at 4:30AM. I set my alarm, when it went off I rolled over, grabbed my phone, turned the grill off, and went back to sleep. Got up 2 hours later and the Brisket had a nice 2 hours rest already, let it rest a couple of more hours and it was ready to go.

Headed home from the store and want to grill, turn the grill on from the parking lot of the store, get home and it is ready to cook.

I wouldn't have one without it, I will say Recteq could improve the app in regards to alarms and monitoring the meat temps. I don't really use the temp probes, I prefer to use a stick thermometer instead.

Wow, that's badass. Yeah, I'm gonna need the WiFi feature... Especially for things like brisket which take so freaking long to cook.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My biggest worry in all of this was cooking space... But the one I have now only has 431 sq in of space it's been fine. I just want to be able to cook for bigger groups should I have the opportunity and the RT-590 has 592 sq in of space. Then I could get an additional interior shelf for even more. Fairly confident the 590 is what I should be getting.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My biggest worry in all of this was cooking space... But the one I have now only has 431 sq in of space it's been fine. I just want to be able to cook for bigger groups should I have the opportunity and the RT-590 has 592 sq in of space. Then I could get an additional interior shelf for even more. Fairly confident the 590 is what I should be getting.
Look into Green Mountain. I got one a few months a go and I love it. It does the WIFI thing nice too and the price point wont break ya like RT

Latest posts

Top Bottom