Police officers shot at Dallas protest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The word of the day is disproportionate.

Blacks are only about 13% of the population yet 27% of the people killed by police.

Whites are approximately 63% of the population and only 51% of the people killed by police.

#thingsthatmakeyougohmmm
#theresyourfactsjack
#factsmatter

The black community should be questioning why such as high percentage of people the police shoot are black. They might find that every shooting is justfied, but they need to be seeking answers and working within the community and with police to correct the numbers.

This man nailed it! S4F is part of the solution.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is also misleading because blacks are disproportionately profiled at higher rates than whites, disproportionately arrested at higher rates than whites, and disproportionately convicted at higher rates than whites. Therefore, comparing "offenders" by race/ethnicity using those numbers is highly problematic because they in no way reflect actual crimes.

You seem to be making a case for considering ALL statistics on the issue to be misleading, are you not? You can't take raw numbers and say "this set of numbers is an accurate reflection, but these numbers aren't", without opening yourself up to charges of confirmation bias.

Here's what I've observed. Black crime and death by cop is a non issue in Appalachia and places like Chevy Chase, MD or Greenwich, CT. White crime and death by cop is a non issue in places like Camden, NJ and South Chicago. So you can make anything look disproportionate if you try hard enough. An honest approach would be to stop tossing around meaningless statistics and use a local, holistic approach to each individual set of circumstances.

America is not "equal" and never will be. Only a fool would expect it to be. For a community to thrive, it has to be attractive to those who have the drive and money to build stuff and grow things. If you have drug peddlers and whores hanging out on the block, with graffiti and trash and high crime rates defining your community, you're never going to get ahead. Same same if you have nothing but trailer houses, illiteracy, welfare and tooth decay. Race is probably the least of your worries in those cases. :(

Last edited:

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So it is your assertion that whites are less likely to be arrested and convicted when they murder someone than blacks? Do you have any data or information to support that? I'm not saying it isn't true, I've just never heard anyone make that case or seen any evidence to support it.
Yes, and it's well-established.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You seem to be making a case for considering ALL statistics on the issue to be misleading, are you not? You can't take raw numbers and say "this set of numbers is an accurate reflection, but these numbers aren't", without opening yourself up to charges of confirmation bias...
Being a statistician, I've learned to scrutinize every statistic. No, they are not "all" misleading, but many are (particularly with how they are interpreted). For many reasons, conviction rates do not accurately reflect actual crime rates, and race/ethnicity is part of that error (but not all of it). And yes, confirmation bias is one of the most prevalent biases we experience; but again, with training and practice it's easy to spot and correct. In science, we also help deal with this issue by requiring other people to scrutinize our own data/statistics and our interpretations of our own data/statistics.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well then it should be easy for you to post some sources that demonstrate how many white murderers are running around free because they were never arrested or convicted. This sounds like a pretty serious issue we should be addressing.
Nah, it's more fun if you learn about it on your own.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How would reading the syllabi for your classes be helpful? Wouldn't it be easier to just post well-established evidence that we have white people getting away with murder because they are white than having to pm somebody a bunch of irrelevant syllabi? Your post seems like a weak and blatant attempt to remind us all of how well educated and intelligent you are instead of actually trying to support your assertion. If you want honest discussion about the topic, let's discuss it and share information. This is a thread in forum not a private conversation. If you have something relevant to share, you should share it with all of us.
No need in sharing if it's irrelevant. lmao

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To clarify: I am an expert in this field, as described by other experts in the field. I'm not ashamed to talk about that because it was hard-earned, for damn sure. Believe it or not, and take it how you want...it won't bother me in any way. However, I am a continual learner, and rarely does a day pass that I don't learn something more about it.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
One factor that affects this is many poor get a public defender or an inexperienced attorney while someone with money can hire an experienced attorney and have a better outcome in court. Whether anyone wants to believe or not, blacks tend to come from a poor background and get into trouble at a higher ratio than whites in most cities. OKC for example has plenty of white trash meth heads but most of the time they just steal and run from the police. Blacks, for some reason tend to shoot each other. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint, neither group can shoot worth a crap and tend to miss more often than they hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom