Police officers shot at Dallas protest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, things look grim now, but anyone over 50-60 (and beyond) can remember equally grim times in the late 60s and early 70s. We are not living in the worst times for either the world or the US but our memories, quite reasonably tend only to be clear to about 30 years back then everything seems to compress into "the past".

Of course, a man who yells "the end is near" will eventually be right but I'm betting the time isn't now.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I found it...

DALLAS (AP) -- The Latest on the shooting of police officers in Dallas (all times local):

5:45 p.m.

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings says the suspect in the sniper slayings of five officers used an AR-15 rifle.

Rawlings said that's the type of weapon 25-year-old Micah Johnson used in the attack Thursday night in downtown Dallas. A similar assault weapon was used in the attacks at a nightclub in Orlando, Florida, that killed 49 people.

http://www.kjrh.com/news/live-dalla...ly-police-shootings?google_editors_picks=true

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't #blacklivesmatter and it isn't #alllivesmatter either, it's #factsmatter.

In 2015 nearly a thousand people were shot and killed by police. Almost all of those people shot, over 95%, were men.

That's probably not a surprise to you, but here was the racial breakdown of all people killed by police in 2015:

51.3% white

27.3% black

17.8% Hispanic

(38 people were other race)

And here were the racial breakdowns of police killings so far in 2016:

51.4% white

26.5% black

17.1% Hispanic

(23 people were other races)

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160709_369dcf5b969f85d90f51f95b61d413c7.jpg

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The word of the day is disproportionate.

Blacks are only about 13% of the population yet 27% of the people killed by police.

Whites are approximately 63% of the population and only 51% of the people killed by police.

#thingsthatmakeyougohmmm
#theresyourfactsjack
#factsmatter

The black community should be questioning why such as high percentage of people the police shoot are black. They might find that every shooting is justfied, but they need to be seeking answers and working within the community and with police to correct the numbers.

It isn't #blacklivesmatter and it isn't #alllivesmatter either, it's #factsmatter.

In 2015 nearly a thousand people were shot and killed by police. Almost all of those people shot, over 95%, were men.

That's probably not a surprise to you, but here was the racial breakdown of all people killed by police in 2015:

51.3% white

27.3% black

17.8% Hispanic

(38 people were other race)

And here were the racial breakdowns of police killings so far in 2016:

51.4% white

26.5% black

17.1% Hispanic

(23 people were other races)

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160709_369dcf5b969f85d90f51f95b61d413c7.jpg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The cited statistics are rather shallow. And the statistics completely ignore if the shootings were justified.

The latest racial makeup of local police departments show that minorities make up around 28% of the local departments. This 28% is almost double what the makeup was in 1987. Does this correspond to the increase in shootings? I don't know.

I can't do my googlefoo on my phone, but what I would like to see or would be more applicable to this debate, is how many minorities have shot whites or minorities. And how many whites have shot whites vs minorities.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Call if profiling or whatever you want but any Officer, black or white will tell you that more violent crimes are committed by blacks. Many times, black victim too. Common sense would understand that pulling over a young black male is more likely to result in a problem for the Officer's safety. Of course, we also have a large amount of white trash in OKC as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call if profiling or whatever you want but any Officer, black or white will tell you that more violent crimes are committed by blacks. Many times, black victim too. Common sense would understand that pulling over a young black male is more likely to result in a problem for the Officer's safety. Of course, we also have a large amount of white trash in OKC as well.

One only needs to look at the FBI crime statistics. Over 50% of homicides and armed robberied are committed by African American males. Could that be why they have a higher % killed by police?

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are some more disproportionate numbers.

According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher.
This is also misleading because blacks are disproportionately profiled at higher rates than whites, disproportionately arrested at higher rates than whites, and disproportionately convicted at higher rates than whites. Therefore, comparing "offenders" by race/ethnicity using those numbers is highly problematic because they in no way reflect actual crimes.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
There is a shooting almost daily in OKC these days. More often than not the shooter is black as well as the victim.

Latest posts

Top Bottom