Poll on shotgun vs. handgun for home defense ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cede the field to the best reply yet!

And just so Cam isn't disappointed, I only run the buckshot rounds on one turbo instead of the twins so they don't over penetrate and I can get 5 more in the tube than regular! They are buffered with Pixie dust so they don't deform and make whom ever you shoot at giddy and happy!

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer a handgun with an unattached flashlight for possible close quarter encounters. However, for self defense in a home, I also recommend at least one German Shepherd running free on the property during waking hours and in the home at night…..Also, one should be proficient and confident with one’s handgun. Weapons should be stored securely yet easily accessible. “An Unloaded Gun Is No Better Than A Stone”
Way I put it is an unloaded gun is a lousy club. Which, IIRC, I stole from my dad.

Larry In OKC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shooting under stress is a LOT different than a day at the range, and yes, you can miss with a shotgun, unless you're virtually at point blank range. Most home invaders are going to turn tail and run if they come face to face with an armed homeowner, and even bracing them with a 22, from their pespective, they're looking back at you like you have a 16" Howitzer in your hand. It all comes down to the element of surprise. Most home invaders that break into the average house are only looking for stuff to steal, not go to war with the homeowner. The elaborate high stakes invasions are the stuff movies are made of. The mere presence of an armed homeowner is usually enough to make them run away screaming like a little girl. 9 times out of 10, they aren't going to even try if they know somebody is home, and if they break into an unoccupied home, a firearm, any firearm is really a moot issue, isn't it?

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting under stress is a LOT different than a day at the range, and yes, you can miss with a shotgun, unless you're virtually at point blank range. Most home invaders are going to turn tail and run if they come face to face with an armed homeowner, and even bracing them with a 22, from their pespective, they're looking back at you like you have a 16" Howitzer in your hand. It all comes down to the element of surprise. Most home invaders that break into the average house are only looking for stuff to steal, not go to war with the homeowner. The elaborate high stakes invasions are the stuff movies are made of. The mere presence of an armed homeowner is usually enough to make them run away screaming like a little girl. 9 times out of 10, they aren't going to even try if they know somebody is home, and if they break into an unoccupied home, a firearm, any firearm is really a moot issue, isn't it?
That stress factor is important, you are not going to shoot as well as you do on paper. You do not know how you will react until you are in one of those situations. Go practice and train, shoot some competition like Idpa or ipshc. Use of cover shooting with a little stress going. Also a shotgun is not fool proof, the pattern at 20 feet is about the size of your fist. Practice!!!!

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer surprise pocket sand personally.
Can’t wait til the thread derails into an argument on over-penetration and round capacity.

Hahaha! I don't really care one way or another but if Grumpy messes up my walls/ceilings/flooring peppering it with rounds from a shotgun shell I'm gonna be PISSED! :bah:

Latest posts

Top Bottom