POTUS Changes his mind on AWB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or, because they know we will oppose whatever we "think" they really want, they have cleverly allowed us to believe we are discovering their true intent and thus hide their actual true intent right under our noses. Think Patton's ficticious Army preparing for the D-Day Invasion at Pas de Calaise...

Just another one of those things that make you go "hmmm"

I think it is a lot more straight forward - the gun ban supporters, including the President, would throw their weight behind that move if it had a chance of passing. However, because that is a long shot that could potentially make the President look very bad, on what is turning into his first major initiative of his second term, he is going for what he perceives to be the "low hanging" fruit - wherein he can claim a small victory now and wait for the next event that will cause him to say "If only they had given me all I asked for last time...the children would have been saved" My proposal seems to jibe with the President's habit of dropping names for public office nominees and if there is any significant resistance subsequently pulling the rug out from under his nominee. This man will only rarely take things to the mat if there appears to be a chance of a clear loss.

You may be right. Even if they view the Universal Background Checks as low hanging fruit, IMHO we should see the danger it is and prevent it from passing.
No COMPROMISES on 2A!
:)

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what I worry about. If they close the "Gunshow Loophole" does that mean I have to call the Feds when I sell a gun to a neighbor I've known all my life?
If depression clowds my medical history, will I still be alowed to own guns?
Yes, and even transfers to your son or daughter will go through the Feds.
But that is itself not the big deal....if the only issue was a slight inconvenience and a slight additional cost (FFL fee) it would not be a big deal. The problem is that to ENFORCE universal BG checks, they will NEED to register all firearms in a large database.

And they will whittle away people's rights to own...so yes, likely once medical records are centralized (another year or two under ObamaCare) a lot of people will be barred from owning guns.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, and even to your son or daughter.
And they will whittle away people's rights to own...so yes, likely once medical records are centralized (another year or two under ObamaCare) a lot of people will be barred from owning guns.

Ironically, this would lead to people needing help not going to the Dr. to get help so they don't lose their civil rights. Then they snap because they didn't get help and then the left can blame the guns again. Viscous circle.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, if this is the strategy they are going to employ, make the argument against a 4473 for all transactions for the non gun nut.

Secondary thought: What if they made a 4474 that did not have to be kept for records by private parties like the FFL has to do for a 4473?

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If this story is true (and I hope it is), then we might have fought though the first assault wave. Even though I firmly agree that government is corrupted beyond repair, I hope this shows that enough people have contacted their congressmen to put some fear in them.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what they are planning at a strategic level, but I'm sure they are planning something. Here's what my gut tells me.

They know that they can't get it passed right now, that the votes are just not there in the House and probably not the Senate either. So what they are going to do is postpone the push for this now and blame it on the republican led House. In truth they know that the congressional calendar is just packed right now. They have a bunch of "big ticket items" on their plate and the fervor has already died down. They know that congress has been hammered with us shouting "no gun control" at them and the knee jerk call for it has subsided. So what they will do now is try to get some of the "more agreeable" items passed. Obama will write an E.O. or two but they won't do much. Look for ammunition imports to cease, cheap evil looking imported rifles and handguns might get iffy, all the alphabet agencies will get directives of various sorts, clamping down on FFLs, sharing health records, etc. Obama might even go along with federal funding for guards in schools. I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did to look like he was sincere when he said it would take more than gun control. His loons will initially hate him for it but the "moderates" will fall for the charade totally.

What it took my think skull four years to learn is that Obama is frigging brilliant when it comes to political tactics. He thinks much farther forward and on a higher level than his loons. When another shooting happens later when congress can afford the time to spend a little more effort, then they will pounce with an already written ban on most all semi-autos, high cap mags and severe restrictions on ammo. They probably won't even have the bodies removed from the crime scene when it gets introduced and probably in the Senate.

Make no mistake, they aren't calling it quits and we can't either. If you aren't a member of the NRA join now! Even if you have to hold your nose and write the check with one hand, just do it! And put all your senators and congressmen in your contact lists. This ain't over by a long shot.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well said, Shadowrider. It is a serious mistake to believe that all politicians swing this way or that given the prevailing wind. If you can play the game well enough to recieve the title "POTUS", you are obviously able to read the political wind. If Obama knows he doesn't have the votes to get what he wants right now, he is certainly cagey enough to wait for the next madman with a gun to provide him with another opportunity somewhere down the road. As Shadowrider suggests, we need to keep in mind that we are in for a long hard fight.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I worry about. If they close the "Gunshow Loophole" does that mean I have to call the Feds when I sell a gun to a neighbor I've known all my life?
If depression clouds my medical history, will I still be alowed to own guns?

I see something like a national FOID card like they have in Illinois being pushed. I mean I can just see that happening, not that I've heard of anything. Look for the soon to come E.O.s to play a central role in this...

Latest posts

Top Bottom