Protected bug habitat??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do we really need beetles?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: On the one hand - endangered species are important not just in and of themsleves, but also because protecting them requires protecting their habitats (living area/environment: plants, soils, water resources). Habitats are much more likely to directly impact people - hunting, fishing, slow release of water for filling lakes and aquifers and minimizing flooding, keeping soil from eroding etc.
On the other hand - Not all species are of equal importance. If there are other beetles that carry out about the same role as the burying beetle, then its loss would perhaps not be too keenly felt. If they have a unique role, however, the loss of a species can destabilize an ecosystem.

Do not assume nature is always going to be there in good shape.....dozers and development can do major serious and permanent harm if allowed free rein.

Preserving absolutely all of nature in pristine form is generally an misguided effort. The people advocating this can do real harm not only to people but also to nature - Fire suppression and refusal to allow mechanical thinning comes to mind.

Last edited:

nimrod

Marksman
Reaction score
I went to High School with the bearded guy on there that does the research. He is a gun guy, Ill shoot him a message and see if he will hop on here and explain.

Not my sign and not my project, but I did capture that beetle in the picture between Pawhuska and Bartlesville that is on almost all Fish and Wildlife ABB items. Those signs are probably on a pipeline or maybe for a well pad that is being built. Most of what we ABB biologists do revolves around oil and gas, some wind farms, and roads. But by far the majority is oil and gas.

The American Burying Beetle is currently listed as Endangered. It creates havoc for construction work in eastern OK; especially linear projects like pipelines. A construction site exceeding 1 acre in size requires a construction storm water permit which is where an endangered species nexus occurs. Presence / absence surveys are required in areas of known occurrence. If discovered in the construction area then protective measures such as baiting away from the construction site is required. I believe discussion to downlist the ABB is currently underway.

Unfortunately for developers, we cant do the baiting away any longer. I am not sad; when we did that I would have to hike 6 miles a day with 20 rotten fryer chickens in a bag. Now, they have to purchase mitigation credits, which can run anywhere from around $4,000 to $30,000 per acre of the project. I work on alot of projects that get abandoned because the beetles are there and the cost blows the budget.

The Fish and Wildlife Service has announced that they want to propose to downlist the ABB to threatened; but that is likely to be challenged in court. It probably will take a minimum of 5 years to get it done, if it is done at all.

If it is delisted or downlisted, the Monarch Butterfly is next to be listed as threatened or endangered, and will take the place of the ABB most likely.

The ABB is a huge menace, and has been for years. They stop or delay all kinds of projects in Oklahoma. There are workarounds, but they cost a train load of money and time. The first time I encountered these was at Ft Chaffee. A reserve horizontal construction unit (think roads and runways) had come in from out of state for annual training. Their annual training budget was tied up in that AT. They had even rail headed equipment down. Upon arrival, they were told that all digging was prohibited. They weren't even allowed to dig hasty fighting positions. The best part was when their BC started using profanity as punctuation. It was glorious, and all because of that little bug.

I'm all for saving species, but military exercises should not be affected by them in my opinion. I went to San Diego for some job training, and some of the people in my class were "environmental inspectors" on the military bases. They were telling me how they would stop the Marines in a tank for driving through certain pools that may have an endangered fairy shrimp in them, and giving the tank commander a citation. Ridiculous.

Attachments

• 13925394_10208485143999571_5496475773112745786_n.jpg
    13925394_10208485143999571_5496475773112745786_n.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 151

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not my sign and not my project, but I did capture that beetle in the picture between Pawhuska and Bartlesville that is on almost all Fish and Wildlife ABB items. Those signs are probably on a pipeline or maybe for a well pad that is being built. Most of what we ABB biologists do revolves around oil and gas, some wind farms, and roads. But by far the majority is oil and gas.

Unfortunately for developers, we cant do the baiting away any longer. I am not sad; when we did that I would have to hike 6 miles a day with 20 rotten fryer chickens in a bag. Now, they have to purchase mitigation credits, which can run anywhere from around $4,000 to $30,000 per acre of the project. I work on alot of projects that get abandoned because the beetles are there and the cost blows the budget.

The Fish and Wildlife Service has announced that they want to propose to downlist the ABB to threatened; but that is likely to be challenged in court. It probably will take a minimum of 5 years to get it done, if it is done at all.

If it is delisted or downlisted, the Monarch Butterfly is next to be listed as threatened or endangered, and will take the place of the ABB most likely.

I'm all for saving species, but military exercises should not be affected by them in my opinion. I went to San Diego for some job training, and some of the people in my class were "environmental inspectors" on the military bases. They were telling me how they would stop the Marines in a tank for driving through certain pools that may have an endangered fairy shrimp in them, and giving the tank commander a citation. Ridiculous.

nimrod

Marksman
Reaction score
Sorry about that, so what is the identifying feature of the ABB, the Orange behind the head or the orange spot on the forehead?

The orange on the so called shield behind the head is what is specific to the endangered species of burying beetle. Oklahoma has 6 other species of burying beetle, but only the American Burying Beetle has the large orange spot.

there is a smaller spot on the face just above the jaws that is not clearly shown on that photo that we look at, depending on the shape of the spot of orange we can tell if it is male or female.

Latest posts

Top Bottom