Question for military guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmithwick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wont be in the military for a few years so i dont know a whole lot, but the military i do know has never acted like that. Thanks to those that have served.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he is still serving in the military he has an ID card. If he is not he has a DD214. If he has ever reenlisted he has a discharge certificate (you get one every time you reenlist). Ask for a specific list of dates of service, military occupational specialty, places where he has trained, schools he has attended, certificates to verify the training. Tell him about the Stolen Valor Act and how much trouble people are getting into for falsifying military experience. He will either show proof or disappear.
Or, have him contact me by private message and I can tell you in a few minutes whether he is a BS artist.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm....I just retired about 24 months ago and my ID card is blue. Is that a change in card colors or does it vary by officer/enlisted?

I retired over 6 years ago. Mine is blue as well. I think red is reserve retired but I could be wrong because I have zero experience with reserves.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The guy I work with claims to be an army ranger medic and he went to jump school at ft benning and the officer who had him go through ranger school made him not finish. He told us a few months ago that he went skydiving and his chute didnt deploy until 200ft above ground LOL. Let's see what else........He has NO pics of him in uniform and wont show his medals or DD 214. All he says is that he has the scars to prove it.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy I work with claims to be an army ranger medic and he went to jump school at ft benning and the officer who had him go through ranger school made him not finish. He told us a few months ago that he went skydiving and his chute didnt deploy until 200ft above ground LOL. Let's see what else........He has NO pics of him in uniform and wont show his medals or DD 214. All he says is that he has the scars to prove it.

I call ********. If he won't show a 214 or pictures, ask him to recite the Ranger Creed. As someone who has spent the better part of his adult life on Active Duty and in the OKARNG, I've known plenty of 'real' Rangers, not just the ones who went to the school, and they were all able to still recite the Ranger Creed years after leaving Regiment.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not being a know it all, but for some time now, the DoD has issued Common Access Cards that are generally white and have a computer chip impregnated in the lower portion. Prior to this, the ID cards were as you describe. Retired ID cards from recent years are a blueish grey color.

They still are the blueish-grey for retired, and yellowish for dependents. If your retired you can get a CaC, its only good for signing on to the US Military web site, you can't use it the same way as a ID card, unless your a GS/WG civilian. For Post activities you'll still need the standard issue ID Card i.e. exchange, movie theater, shoppette, Class VI, and so on.

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I served in the Navy from 83-93. There is absolutely no reason for him to not show you his DD-214 (unless he doesn't have one). It is perfectly normal for any business to ask to see a copy to verify service for an advertised discount. However if he is active duty he should have a green ID card and won't have a DD-214 unless he has re-enlisted at least 1x. I would ask for proof of service. ID Card , Green = Active duty, Red = retired. No ID then he is not active duty or retired and would have a DD-214 to verify dates of service and discharge status.

I would have to disagree, I have not/would not show my DD-214 to ANY business for discount purposes, as there are other ways of verifying military service without giving up so much personally sensitive data. The VA is the only person to see mine.

I have found over the years, most guys claiming to be Spec Ops, are instead Spec Ed. Most of the real operators I've known or worked with don't advertise their skillset, you can tell what they are when you spend a little time with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom