question on selling a long gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, my original statement was FFL to FFL.. From one state to the other. I was thinking of the handgun requirements.

I'm still not sure you have this right.......ffl to ffl in NOT required, even for handguns. You only need an ffl in the buyers state. it is perfectly legal for a non ffl to ship firearms, including handguns, to an ffl in another state. Non ffls can mail long guns to ffls, but must ship handguns via common carrier.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still not sure you have this right.......ffl to ffl in NOT required, even for handguns. You only need an ffl in the buyers state. it is perfectly legal for a non ffl to ship firearms, including handguns, to an ffl in another state. Non ffls can mail long guns to ffls, but must ship handguns via common carrier.

Maybe. But this is the most surefire way to comply. :hey3:

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe. But this is the most surefire way to comply. :hey3:

No maybe about it.....handguns DO NOT have to be shipped from an ffl to an ffl.....period!

The "most surefire way to comply" is to know the law and act accordingly and the law DOES NOT require ffl to ffl.....do you drive 60mph in a 65mph zone because that is the "most surefire way to comply"??

If you choose to do it that way, that it your business, but it is simply NOT required.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(5) and 922(d); 27 CFR 478.30, 478.32]

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The difference between handguns and rifles in interstate transfer is that rifles CAN be transferred from an FFL to an out of state resident. Handguns must go to an FFL in the buyer's state.

Non-FFLs must transfer only in-state.

@tRidiot I would tell your friend to not worry about at this point. Not that I would recommend knowingly buying across state lines face to face illegally, by any means. However, with the number of gun shows that go on, the number of guns purchased "face to face" across state lines has to be enormous.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So if a Texan drives up to an OKC gun show and buys a handgun from an private owner of the handgun, who has broken the law if anybody?

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand.
I'm glad it's been cleared up, at least for me. I sure their are a lot of gun owners that don't know this or are willingly breaking the law. I haven't attended many shows in quite awhile, but would usually make the Wachmker in Tulsa in the fall. I see quite a few "private collectors" from out of state, that will sell you a firearm or buy/trade with no paperwork at all. Many patrons walking around and selling/buying firearms to other individuals that could be out of state visitors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom