Rifle Info need

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you were happy with the 30-06, and would be again, you might want to consider 7.62x54. There's no serious difference between the two and x54 is much cheaper to shoot.

I'm not saying I would relish serious Brown Bear hunting with x54, but it could certainly be done. Doesn't really sound like you plan to do any of that, either.

Corrosive surplus is cheap and available, but serious hunting loads are few and expensive. I don't know of anyone who uses this cartridge as their primary hunter. I used one for a few years (had a Mosin Nagant sniper) and it was a great shooter, but you have to reload to get reasonably priced hunting ammo, and what may show up on the shelves will not offer much variety.

If you like the .270, you might consider the .280. Except for the big bears, it's a great cartridge. CB

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
go with the 06 i've had one since i was a kid they will handle anything you are going to hunt in the usa you can always find ammo for it most places will have over anything else. a buddy of mine shot a moose a few years back with his remingtos 742 auto using 180 bullets it was a one shot kill moose went about 50 yards and dropped

Latest posts

Top Bottom