Road trip food destinations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd make a trip just for it, but I liked the burgers and fries at Denton County Line when I was in (of course) Denton, TX.

I'm sounding like a broken record today, but Smokin' Joe's in Davis is worth the trip.

The rest of the places I would've recommended in the past, well, it has been too long since I've eaten at those places to recommend them (plus, at least half of them are closed now :( ).

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maxey's steakhouse between Wheeler and Shamrock Tx on 83.

Mel's Diner on the west end of Wheeler used to ha e a good breakfast.

The Cattleman's Exchange in Canadian.

Duncan Lake Cafe used to have fish,

Indian Tacos at the Cherokee

Spaghetti at the Tigers Den in Verden

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not driving anywhere very far just for a good burger, BBQ, steaks, Italian, sushi, pizza, seafood, blah blah blah,etc- there are wayyy too many decent places around us here close to home for the usual boring kind of stuff we always go out for, the types of food you can also cook yourself at home as good or in some cases alot better than out. (Villa Ravenna in the Farm, I could never do Italian like them and wouldnt try, thats why I go there).

I will take a long drive though for something unusual and different and with a whole table ticket of at least $100 or more, plus for us its alot more fun to enjoy with other people like friends or maybe a kid or three (except ours are all grown and gone now and when we take them out now they eat way more than they did when kids).

Here is one for my contribution. Place isnt far for either Tulsa or OKC area peeps to get to.

Stillwater- Tokyo Pot.

This place is all about a style of Japanese cooking called 'Shabu Shabu', an unusual (to me at first) interactive cooking method similar to hot wok meets something like the Melting Pot. Dean the co-owner says no one else in OK is doing this. I dont see why not because it was so much fun the first time we went, and now we're as hooked on it as I am good pho or vermicelli noodle bowls. It is fun and interactive cooking and eating and shariing with other people just like in gourmet fondue dinnners. They have everything already prepared for you- frozen super thin sliced steak, seafood, tofu, veggies, bowls of beaten eggs,etc- and they will show you exactly how to do it your first time. The food is basically dipped into a large hot plate vat in the center of the table holding hot oil and broth which they refill periodically, similar to fondue. The foods are then dipped afterwards in a succession of sauces and then into your mouth, or someone elses if you want to reach over and share. And we always do, its fun and the food is awesome. And for dessert you would never expect it for a Japanese place but they have some of the most excellant tiramisu any where, one of my fave desserts. 2 of our kids are in school there so we do this about once a month or so and its a leave Tulsa at 5 get back home by 11 or so trip to go up there and eat with the kids or take some friends in the SUV. 4 people our ticket is usually about $115-125 plus a nice tip, pretty fair to me for what you get. Im a big city raised kid moved to the country so dropping a C note or more on a good meal out for me and my companion is normal to me, not fun, Im just used to it. (I know people who have learned to do this at home and I could probably figure it out also, but its way too much fun to do there and it just wouldnt be as much fun at home- especially with all of that prep and then all of the cleanup afterward.).

If you go, and you are gonna GPS it, get ready to drive around the block a few times before it appears. It seems hidden from view at first until you get out of the car and track it down. Once youre in there you'll see why.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im not driving anywhere very far just for a good burger, BBQ, steaks, Italian, sushi, pizza, seafood, blah blah blah,etc- there are wayyy too many decent places around us here close to home for the usual boring kind of stuff we always go out for, the types of food you can also cook yourself at home as good or in some cases alot better than out. (Villa Ravenna in the Farm, I could never do Italian like them and wouldnt try, thats why I go there).

I will take a long drive though for something unusual and different and with a whole table ticket of at least $100 or more, plus for us its alot more fun to enjoy with other people like friends or maybe a kid or three (except ours are all grown and gone now and when we take them out now they eat way more than they did when kids).

Here is one for my contribution. Place isnt far for either Tulsa or OKC area peeps to get to.

Stillwater- Tokyo Pot.

This place is all about a style of Japanese cooking called 'Shabu Shabu', an unusual (to me at first) interactive cooking method similar to hot wok meets something like the Melting Pot. Dean the co-owner says no one else in OK is doing this. I dont see why not because it was so much fun the first time we went, and now we're as hooked on it as I am good pho or vermicelli noodle bowls. It is fun and interactive cooking and eating and shariing with other people just like in gourmet fondue dinnners. They have everything already prepared for you- frozen super thin sliced steak, seafood, tofu, veggies, bowls of beaten eggs,etc- and they will show you exactly how to do it your first time. The food is basically dipped into a large hot plate vat in the center of the table holding hot oil and broth which they refill periodically, similar to fondue. The foods are then dipped afterwards in a succession of sauces and then into your mouth, or someone elses if you want to reach over and share. And we always do, its fun and the food is awesome. And for dessert you would never expect it for a Japanese place but they have some of the most excellant tiramisu any where, one of my fave desserts. 2 of our kids are in school there so we do this about once a month or so and its a leave Tulsa at 5 get back home by 11 or so trip to go up there and eat with the kids or take some friends in the SUV. 4 people our ticket is usually about $115-125 plus a nice tip, pretty fair to me for what you get. Im a big city raised kid moved to the country so dropping a C note or more on a good meal out for me and my companion is normal to me, not fun, Im just used to it. (I know people who have learned to do this at home and I could probably figure it out also, but its way too much fun to do there and it just wouldnt be as much fun at home- especially with all of that prep and then all of the cleanup afterward.).

If you go, and you are gonna GPS it, get ready to drive around the block a few times before it appears. It seems hidden from view at first until you get out of the car and track it down. Once youre in there you'll see why.

We did the Tokyo pot for our 25th anniversary. Actually a week later because I was in NM on an elk hunt on the actual day.

Very unique. When we pulled up to the front door, it was dark, and kind of not real safe looking.
Went in and had a kind of good time.
It was our first time, and we didn't know what the routine was, so it was a little uncomfortable.
Once we got into how they do things, it was very cool.

You need several people to really make it a great evening. Its a community way of having a dinner, and a very innovative way to enjoy an evening.

We will go back.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't care for Tokyo Pot, just not my cup of boiling hot sweet liquid. That said, I am glad for the experience.

They offer different levels of the broth. We chose the spicy. Its not for every one. If you need a carnivore amount of meat it won't work. If your into a different experience, this is a good place.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife likes to go to the Italian festivals. There is one in McAlester in the spring and another in Tontitown AR late summer. She's part Italian so we hit both. Pretty generic Italian food but it's a festival so lots of fun, music, drinking. Lavera's sets up their booth and we always come back home with tons of their fine groceries- sausages, cheeses, pasta, pickled goodies, etc.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about going just for the food, but we enjoy Roma's Italian in Durant. It's good a wide variety of Italian styles.
Plenty of Lakes and Rivers to look at down here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom