Securing Ruger LCR for sight install?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImplodedMindZ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need a lil advice or help on installing front Hi Viz sight on my LCR. I got the basic idea of knock out roll pin remove sight and install new sight punch roll pin bk in.

First question, ideas on securing it to do said procedure? And is there only one side the roll pin comes in/out like on some dovetailed sighted handguns? I am confident in doing this I am patient and have steady hands just need a lil guidance.

Btw I have a bench vice but I kno I just can't clamp her right in there.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why cant you clamp it in a bench vise? Use a towel to keep from marring the gun and clamp it in. Knock the roll pin out and put new sight on and put new roll pin in.

Should take you less than 30 minutes.

I was going to order one for mine, I just painted the factory ramp sight white on mine instead for now.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto. Remove your grips, use the towel and clamp the lower portion of the frame, below the cylinder.

The manual tells you to remove the pin, but doesn't indicate direction; the schematic shows L->R installation, so I would plan on going R->L to remove.

ImplodedMindZ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I didn't kno what kinda media to put between that would b ok not to mar it up. I'll give it a try this afternoon. It's ok to clam it that far down by the grip if I'm putting that much torsion on the frame up at the front sight. Sry I'm a newb when it comes to sights, don't wanna damage anything.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
clamp it as high up as possible.... and remember, you're not mining for gold... you don't have to beat the crap out of it.

Instead of using a towel, I would recommend duct taping a couple pieces of leather on your vise jaws.... it wont mar, and it is stiff enough to hold it tightly.

let us know.

ImplodedMindZ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well i feel like a tool for makin more of a big deal than it was, a 1/16" punch, a towel (traxxis only cause i just now read your post or i would have tried leather but the towel worked just fine) and 10 minutes or less and it was done. Really like the Hi Viz though. I did have to end up tilting the gun down quite a bit to get the vice secured on some of the frame in front of & above the trigger to reduce movement. heres a few pictures. please forgive the iphone pictures.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well i feel like a tool for makin more of a big deal than it was, a 1/16" punch, a towel (traxxis only cause i just now read your post or i would have tried leather but the towel worked just fine) and 10 minutes or less and it was done. Really like the Hi Viz though. I did have to end up tilting the gun down quite a bit to get the vice secured on some of the frame in front of & above the trigger to reduce movement. heres a few pictures. please forgive the iphone pictures.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Very good! I don't see any big scratches on it, so I'd say it was a success! :)

Yeah, because the leather is more dense, it can grip it better... but not everybody has scrap leather setting around.

I have't worked with an LCR, so I wasn't sure how easy a task you were in for.

ImplodedMindZ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very good! I don't see any big scratches on it, so I'd say it was a success! :)

Yeah, because the leather is more dense, it can grip it better... but not everybody has scrap leather setting around.

I have't worked with an LCR, so I wasn't sure how easy a task you were in for.

Thanks you all! I really like it, i think a good purchase for my first revolver. Absolutely no scratches or marks, went just fine. when i was hammering the pin back in it got a little tough when i got to the metal on the gun and then once through that back into the sight on the other side but a little extra force was all that was needed. I had no leather around but woulda been a good idea for that lil extra insurance. I woulda done just about anything just to make sure no scratches, but i doubled up a towel so no worries.

VERY NICE! I am thinking about getting an LCR and doing the same.

I dont think much is needed to turn this gun into a real nice backup carry weapon. Already comes w/ a nice grip w/ a gel like insert, and w/ the addition of 30$ sight makes it that much better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom