Seeking Advice on Firearm Sales Throught the Classifieds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well as long as it perfectly legal to do person to person firearms sells without asking for a paper trail, and it is, then I will exercise
might right to never ask for your info when I sale a firearm to you and I hope to get the same when I buy a firearm in a private sale.
There's enough people looking down my back,over my shoulder, at my emails, phone records, texts and probably drone picting me
without my permission. Thank you NSA. So no, count me out as a buyer if you want a paper trail as I will politely move on to the next
one that comes up for sale. I'm not a criminal, never been arrested or to jail even on a visit. The Obama administration is still prowling
around looking for ways to nose into taking away every 2A right we have as it is. Why should I try to act like one of them. As long as private
sales stay private, legally under the law, I believe I'm in the majority of folks who for no other reason than privacy, like to avoid paper
trails. I think this would make a great poll to see where everyone stands. I do however accept that everyone has a right to police their
own firearm sales as they see fit and are comfortable with. There's plenty more guns where that one came from thank you.
I will also add that although I don't have a high post count, I have sold and bought several firearms right here at OSA. Among various other
items. And have never asked for a paper trail to be started on any sales. I do appreciate a kind word in the feedback if we have a
mutually good transaction. By doing that, it allows others here an opportunity to see our character and maybe feel that a paper trail
is not needed.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So many people are worried about being hassled in the event a firearm they sell is eventually used in a crime. Here's my take on it. Personally, I think this is eminently better than: Now... I will stipulate that some people will tell you that even this amount of questioning is intrusive and you should not answer anything. Personally, if I know I've done nothing wrong, being polite and helpful in their efforts will do nothing but help exclude me as a suspect, and in general, it seems the odds are pretty astronomical that any crime committed in this fashion could by pure chance be tied to me individually in a way I was both implicated as a suspect in some way other than having once owned the firearm in question and had motive, opportunity and was at the same time unable to provide means to exclude myself as a suspect. Pretty far-fetched, though not impossible. Personally... I don't worry about it. I'd rather not be burdened with keeping any records, or have my information stored by an individual I don't know and who will do who knows what with my info. Let's say you do keep those records as a seller... and over 10 years you've sold.... oh, let's say 25 firearms. If they come knocking and you pull out your file and you happen to have all of the records, except maybe that one your 2-y/o used for drawing paper, or the dog ate it, or it just plain disappeared. Then, it becomes a question of, "Sir, we see here that you have records of selling a number of your firearms, but this particular one is not in the stack. Can you explain why you are so motivated to keep such records, but the one particular one we're looking for isn't here?" Almost make for more suspicion. It's all or none, I think... and for me, personally, it's none. Although, if you wish to do so, I support your right 100%.

Good points from this guy. Couple of things I had not considered.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well as long as it perfectly legal to do person to person firearms sells without asking for a paper trail, and it is, then I will exercise
might right to never ask for your info when I sale a firearm to you and I hope to get the same when I buy a firearm in a private sale.
There's enough people looking down my back,over my shoulder, at my emails, phone records, texts and probably drone picting me
without my permission. Thank you NSA. So no, count me out as a buyer if you want a paper trail as I will politely move on to the next
one that comes up for sale. I'm not a criminal, never been arrested or to jail even on a visit. The Obama administration is still prowling
around looking for ways to nose into taking away every 2A right we have as it is. Why should I try to act like one of them. As long as private
sales stay private, legally under the law, I believe I'm in the majority of folks who for no other reason than privacy, like to avoid paper
trails. I think this would make a great poll to see where everyone stands. I do however accept that everyone has a right to police their
own firearm sales as they see fit and are comfortable with. There's plenty more guns where that one came from thank you.
I will also add that although I don't have a high post count, I have sold and bought several firearms right here at OSA. Among various other
items. And have never asked for a paper trail to be started on any sales. I do appreciate a kind word in the feedback if we have a
mutually good transaction. By doing that, it allows others here an opportunity to see our character and maybe feel that a paper trail
is not needed.

excellent post sir.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember, you want to "sell" it, not "sale" it. Aaaaaand that it's "for sale", NOT "for sell".

never had any probs here or armslist for that matter. I usually meet at academy, WM, bass pro...etc...

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I more or less do what Nemesis said earlier - I make seeing proof of State residency a condition of sale (show me a current State issued DL or ID), even better show me your OK carry license, I will show you mine (so to speak). If you have a carry license or lots of positive feedback on OSA or we have a personal connection - i.e. a friend vouches for you that's it. If I can't determine any history I may ask if you know of any reasons you can't own a gun, etc, etc.; I may just not go ahead with a sale if it in any way feels "wrong".

My one quirk - I don't like to sell to an under 21 unless he's the child of a friend with concurrence from the parent. That is NOT based in law but it is how I roll.

I considered written records (bill of sale) but they prove nothing. I do keep my own list of what I have sold or traded but not with other party info just a simple spreadsheet that says "gun X traded on day Y" to supplement my own bad memory.

Latest posts

Top Bottom