Smoking the Thanksgiving Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the turkey I smoked last week for our company potluck, I injected with butter, rosemary, and applebutter. Smoked with pecan for 10 hours 22lbs bird.
bd443577e8d9453ef29ac4dec5f62993.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the turkey I smoked last week for our company potluck, I injected with butter, rosemary, and applebutter. Smoked with pecan for 10 hours 22lbs bird.
bd443577e8d9453ef29ac4dec5f62993.jpg

How was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I deep fry, not smoke, but a brined turkey is the way to go.
Learned years ago from some Cajuns that were at the plant that injection of any turkey breast is key to moist meat. They injected from inside the cavity, never breaking the seal of the breast skin. My go to way now.
We have seen some say to lift the skin and put some rub under the skin but when frying, that just flat doesn't work. The skin pulls away and you have dry burnt breast meat.
Just another suggestion.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really liked how it came out it could have used some salt but when I cook for groups I keep the sodium down because I dont know if anyone has a blood pressure issue, I only had to bring home about a half pound of meat and everyone at work said they liked it even the guy that was going on about how he had never had moist turkey.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I deep fry, not smoke, but a brined turkey is the way to go.
Learned years ago from some Cajuns that were at the plant that injection of any turkey breast is key to moist meat. They injected from inside the cavity, never breaking the seal of the breast skin. My go to way now.
We have seen some say to lift the skin and put some rub under the skin but when frying, that just flat doesn't work. The skin pulls away and you have dry burnt breast meat.
Just another suggestion.
If you want moist, deep frying is THE way to go. Even the breast meat reheated in the microwave is moist on a deep fried bird. I usually smoke them out of laziness because it such a PITA to deep fry. Dryness in a properly smoked bird isn't a big deal, it'll have enough moisture and leftovers don't last long plus we have gravy so... But there's no better tasting bird than a fried one, that's for sure.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my turkey defrosting in the fridge and bought all of the brining ingredients per the video in the thread from AKJ20. I can't wait to try this out.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wanted to say thanks for all the input on Smoking the Turkey for Thanksgiving. I did it and it came out amazing. The best tasting, the moistest turkey we have ever had. The family loved it.

I follow the video in this thread (thanks AKJ20) for the brining ingredients. I let is soak for about 30 hours.
Patted it dry with paper towels
Covered it lightly with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and then sprinkled it with some of my poultry seasoning.
Injected it with a stick of melted butter
Smoked it for 6 hours on 235 degrees with apple wood.
Basted it periodically with melted butter
Took it out of the smoker once the interior temperature reached 165 degrees.
Let it rest for 30 minutes.

Man it was good.

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom