So how do you eat your grits?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grew up in North FL, grits are a staple. I like mine with tomato gravy, and/or two over easy eggs mixed in with them. A good sweet snack is grits with butter, sugar, and milk. Fried grits are a national treasure. Put the leftover grits in the fridge over night, cut into small rectangles, fry bacon, then fry grits in bacon grease.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grew up in North FL, grits are a staple. I like mine with tomato gravy, and/or two over easy eggs mixed in with them. A good sweet snack is grits with butter, sugar, and milk. Fried grits are a national treasure. Put the leftover grits in the fridge over night, cut into small rectangles, fry bacon, then fry grits in bacon grease.

I'm from Florida, too. Do you know Indialantic, Jupiter or Homestead?

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had em growing up, we ate oatmeal or cream of wheat. I'm indian so I did grow up eating a lot of hominy at my moms but no grits. I've tried them at Waffle House before tho. Kind of weird tasting but not bad. I had mine with salt and pepper.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had em growing up, we ate oatmeal or cream of wheat. I'm indian so I did grow up eating a lot of hominy at my moms but no grits. I've tried them at Waffle House before tho. Kind of weird tasting but not bad. I had mine with salt and pepper.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

Native American, that's pretty awesome. I wish i knew more about native american culture, honestly.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ain't it kinda jus' like Cream of Wheat? Or Malt-o-Meal or something?

Cream of wheat and grits are pretty far apart to me taste wise but I havent eaten as much grits as cream of wheat or oatmeal. Never really liked MaltOMeal after puking up the chocolate kind as a kid and finding out I was allergic to chocolate. Rice I like with milk and sugar or with butter,salt and pepper same as with the grits when Ive eaten them at Wafflehouse. Cream of wheat and oatmeal I like with sugar and milk or 1/2&1/2.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rice with sugar, butter and a little milk in the mornings is good! I think I've eaten grits a few times and they seemed like Malt'O'Meal to me, just a little more coarse. I could be mis-rememberin' though, it's been quite a number of years.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ain't it kinda jus' like Cream of Wheat? Or Malt-o-Meal or something?

:teach: No. Basically, grits are low, redneck food, similar to a cornmeal mush, whereas a properly prepared and served bowl of Malt-O-Meal is a truly epicurean dish for those with more refined tastes. Now, polenta, an Italian staple somewhat like grits, if properly prepared, is very good. I like my polenta cooked firmly so it can be cut into slices and lightly sauteed in butter. Polenta is generally reserved for those with refined tastes as well, not those people solely interested in stuffing enough of a food-like substance (such as mush or grits) down their neck to simply maintain life and avoid starvation. Polenta is made from flint corn, which holds its shape better than the less expensive southern corn used for grits, more commonly known as dent corn. This type of inexpensive southern corn is also used to fatten hogs for market.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
:teach: No. Basically, grits are low, redneck food, similar to a cornmeal mush, whereas a properly prepared and served bowl of Malt-O-Meal is a truly epicurean dish for those with more refined tastes. Now, polenta, an Italian staple somewhat like grits, if properly prepared, is very good. I like my polenta cooked firmly so it can be cut into slices and lightly sauteed in butter. Polenta is generally reserved for those with refined tastes as well, not those people solely interested in stuffing enough of a food-like substance (such as mush or grits) down their neck to simply maintain life and avoid starvation. Polenta is made from flint corn, which holds its shape better than the less expensive southern corn used for grits, more commonly known as dent corn. This type of inexpensive southern corn is also used to fatten hogs for market.

I like polenta when it's cut into fries and deep-fried. Got that at Fogo de Chao. If you haven't been to that carnivore's nirvana, I can't recommend it enough. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom