So I got a call from Mayors Against Illegal Guns...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I played along to find out what they were up to. The telemarketer they hired started reading their script asking for support for common sense gun safety measures and if I would be willing to contact my Senator to ask them to support these reforms. So, I asked "like what?". The caller replied "universal backgrounds checks, may I transfer you to Senator Coburn's office to ask him for his support for this". I said "Wait a minute, what does a universal background check mean?" The caller responded, "it means we will transfer your call to your Senators office". "No", I replied, "that's not what I'm asking, what is the universal background check you are asking me to request my Senator to support?" "A background check on all firearms transactions" the called finally answered. I said, "so does that mean that if a parent or grandparent wanted to pass down a firearm to their progeny that had been in the family for generations that would require a background check." The caller hesitantly responded, "Well, yes, I am sure your family is responsible, but we have to make sure firearms stay out of the hands of the wrong people". Long story short, we went back and forth a little more, I rattled off about how ridiculous that is and how ridiculous it would be to expand a system where there is almost no enforcement of the laws against those who show up in the current background check system for trying to illegally purchase a firearm, etc. I ended my call by telling the caller to give Bloomberg a message, "go spend your money somewhere else, because Oklahoma won't be cosigning this crap."

So, now that I've relayed my little anecdote and have gotten that rant off my chest, it looks like Mayors Against Illegal Guns is spending money in our state, trying to pressure and influence Coburn. Am I wrong and will it be at all effective? Anybody else get one of these calls?

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coburn is already working behind closed doors with schumer for universal background checks.

Sent from my brain using ESP
I called his office & Inhofe's today and spoke for a few minutes with each aide, basically requesting them not to support UBC, and how it would inevitably lead to registration, even if they did not want it to. They seemed to get it.
It's time to call them once a week again, as part of operation gun rights:
http://www.okshooters.com/showthrea...ights-Next-8-weeks&highlight=operation+rights
:)

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should have let them forward the call, tell him who sent you, and then implored him not to support UBCs.

Waste the enemies resources.
Matter of fact, I'm considering requesting some pamphlets or paperwork from them so I can get some free literature to burn.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just tried calling Coburn's office, and it said his voice mailbox was full. Hopefully that's all people telling him to oppose this crap!

On a related note, I wonder if an aid actually sits there and listens to all those messages or if they just hit the clear button in the morning....

orangpowr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a call from them too, asked them to send me some information on it, got a nice mail out asking for help in fight against illegal guns, I stuffed all the junk mail I could in the pre paid envelope sent it back to them, I am hoping they keep sending me mail outs, I can spend some of Bloomberg's money and support the Post Office at the same time.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just tried calling Coburn's office, and it said his voice mailbox was full. Hopefully that's all people telling him to oppose this crap!

On a related note, I wonder if an aid actually sits there and listens to all those messages or if they just hit the clear button in the morning....

I got a machine the first time, did not bother leaving a message, called again and got an aide. Talking to an aide is best IMHO. They are a person and my goal is to try and convince them so hey can then pass on to the Senator what they heard.
Aso, perosnal letters (via snail mail) work! esp with coburn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom