SSD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worp

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've been on it for 2 years. I'm 63 now. Was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2018. Lost half of my right lung surgically. Have had more lung and airway tumors that were killed with radiation. Have had 3 brain tumors. one removed surgically that caused a seizure where I couldn't drive for 7 months. and two small ones killed with radiation. Have COPD also. By the grace of God I've been clear for a year and I'm pretty active. I decided after 60 years of oilfield and 4 years of septic service to sell my business and get on disability and retire. I had all these procedures done at Oklahoma Heart Hospital and Mercy North. Thank God Mercy had a department with a person who helps people that qualify get on disability. She took care of it all. Didn't have to hire a lawyer. So if you've had any procedures done at a hospital they might possibly be able to help. I have a few friends though that fought with Social Security and had to get a lawyer to get anything done. They said to never do it yourself. If you have any renal failure (and there's one other condition I can't remember) you'll be able to get on Medicare when you start receiving disability even if you're not 65. If you don't have one of those 2 conditions you have to be receiving disability for 2 years before you can get on Medicare. Good luck with it all. It sucks that most people that really need it have so much trouble getting it when it's your money to begin with!!!!!!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been on it for 2 years. I'm 63 now. Was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2018. Lost half of my right lung surgically. Have had more lung and airway tumors that were killed with radiation. Have had 3 brain tumors. one removed surgically that caused a seizure where I couldn't drive for 7 months. and two small ones killed with radiation. Have COPD also. By the grace of God I've been clear for a year and I'm pretty active. I decided after 60 years of oilfield and 4 years of septic service to sell my business and get on disability and retire. I had all these procedures done at Oklahoma Heart Hospital and Mercy North. Thank God Mercy had a department with a person who helps people that qualify get on disability. She took care of it all. Didn't have to hire a lawyer. So if you've had any procedures done at a hospital they might possibly be able to help. I have a few friends though that fought with Social Security and had to get a lawyer to get anything done. They said to never do it yourself. If you have any renal failure (and there's one other condition I can't remember) you'll be able to get on Medicare when you start receiving disability even if you're not 65. If you don't have one of those 2 conditions you have to be receiving disability for 2 years before you can get on Medicare. Good luck with it all. It sucks that most people that really need it have so much trouble getting it when it's your money to begin with!!!!!!
Oh I've had plenty of procedures. Had a DVT, PE, Ileostomy surgery, and I have been left with permanent nerve damage to my extremities. I had all this done at Baptist so maybe I can see if there is someone there that handles this stuff.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
It sucks it’s so hard to get for those that truly need it. A LOT of people on disability in OK that are not disabled. I know one lazy 51 year old that sits in his recliner all day playing Fortnite with 10 year olds who is perfectly capable of working. Strange how some people can do about anything they want to do but “can’t” work. Others truly need it and have to jump thru hoops to get it approved.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
All my procedures have been done at hospitals. Orthopedic surgeons. Everyone one of them have been a holes.
Yep. I’ve had a partial knee replacement in 10/19 then converted to full in 1/20 followed by revisions in 1/22 and 9/22. I am of the opinion that most doctors truly “practice “ medicine. Many of them take on too many patients, rely on PA’s for most things, and don’t/won’t take the time with patients that is sometimes needed for complications.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly my now departed wife’s’ experience with SS, back around 2010. She had worsening RA and COPD, quit working in her early fifties, tried applying for SS benefits, some disability. Denied, given the run around for a few months, hired an attorney recommended to her, got results in a month or two.
Binder and binder

getchurgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was on it for 16 years. Went backnto school, git a job with the state but still have good info. You need an attorney. Unless life threatening, dyalisis, stuff like that you will be denied. If not appealed in time you start over. An attorney will ensure it is appealed because he gets $7,000 or 25% whichever is less. You don't get approved the attorney does not get paid.

The first denial i think is to weed out the people just not wanting to work. There is usually a second denial as i was. Once denied twice and you appeal the SSA will require you to be examinded by a doctor, their choice of doctor so they will be working for the government. Be on time and complain. Keep good medical record and ensure your attorney has copies of everything.

The second denial advances the case before an Administrative Judge. So a hearing will be held at the Federal Building downtown OKC or Tulsa depending on where you live. The hearing will be you, your attorney the attorney for the government and the judge. Again, be on time and complain.

I had had 6 lower back surgeries, no feeling in my left leg, unable to walk, stand or sit for any length of time and it still took 3 years from start to finish. If you do any work, jobs at all, you will be denied as the government will say you are employable.

I used Forbes & Forbes in MWC, Husband and wife who have since retired. Their son Alex Forbes and a friend Shilo Renes nownrun the firm and have still been very successful in SS law. I have sent many friends and clients to them and they are more successful than not.

Sorry about long post.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once talked to an attorney about disability, a casual conversation in relation to him getting disability, not me. He said the SSI is reduced by your earning potential and by any other benefit payments (namely, retirement), and, specifically in regards to retirement payments, that your SSI payment is reduced as soon as you become eligible to collect them. (He said they did that because retirees would try to collect SSI to delay taking retirement payments.)

He said he was a "slam dunk" to collect SSI due to serious health issues, but because he was eligible to collect from his pension, and the pension payments would be greater than the SSI amount, he wouldn't net anything.

This was about five years ago, so things may have changed, but we lost him about a year ago, so I can no longer ask him any follow-up questions...

Latest posts

Top Bottom