State Question 779. Penny tax for teachers raises by the numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have given them a 5 grand raise BUT they have taken away their healthcare insurance too. That sir is not an equal trade for the short or long term of educators.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Small districts want their schools because it is literally the only thing they have left to hang onto. The school is the only place left they can identify with. Flight from these areas or non growth has left them with little or now business districts, few if any churches, no govt to speak of except the county, little to no law enforcement, VERY low taxes, but the school is kept to identify with as much as it is to educate very small numbers of students. Much of this state is rural, face it.

This is why I propose a hybrid approach. Consolidate support functions where small schools really don't need individual staff for those roles, and allow current districts to retain local identity and much of their control.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have given them a 5 grand raise BUT they have taken away their healthcare insurance too. That sir is not an equal trade for the short or long term of educators.

Pre-Obamacare, I could see a net gain from that, but not now. I know when I was in the system, the state was paying $700+/mo for my health insurance (according to my pay stub) that 1) wasn't usable unless I wanted to drive to the OKC metro area, and 2) wouldn't cover half of my asthma medications without jumping through hoops on every refill. When I left I was able to get better coverage (60% lower deductible, 100% coverage after meeting deductible, usable pretty much everywhere, and no medication hassles) for $100/mo. But now, similar insurance to what the state was providing at that time runs ~$6K/yr.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep the teachers took a very ugly bath on this one but really had NO input or choice. Thank Mary Fallin the biggest enemy of Oklahoma Education since statehood.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the smaller schools have cut numerous administration positions. my local school cut all of the secretaries cept for 1 unlucky lady. She's know swamped to death now.

It's real easy to holler for consolidation, and drag feet on teacher raises. But at some point, something has to be done, we're bleeding good teachers at a crazy rate.
new graduates are going straight out of state for way better pay.

WWIIDigger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Too many school districts meaning too many supers and support staff salaries. Salaries which should be paying teaches. Lets see spread sheets--these are all public employees. Put that info out so the taxpayers can see just where its going. Status quo doesn't fix anything and neither does additional taxes and throwing money at the problem.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If one can read, thank a parent, grandparent, and themselves. Schools here in Oklahoma put the onus on the home to teach ABCs, numbers, colors, some reading before they even reach school. So thank your family.

I think re districting has to happen. Limited bus routes, have sports solely funded from ticket sales, reuse books, etc

Latest posts

Top Bottom