Stolen guns... How do you record serials?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Noticed a few threads on here recently about guns being stolen, some from homes, some from vehicles, etc.

I regularly leave at least one, sometimes two handguns in my truck. Now, before you get all bent out of shape, it's because I can't carry at work, and at home, my truck is garaged 100% of the time. So, I don't have a choice but to leave my carry weapon in the center console. I've recently gotten a small lock box which is tethered by a cable to the supports under my seat. No, it's not foolproof, and it could be defeated by someone with some tools, but not likely in the middle of a parking lot. I don't actually often use it, but if my truck is going to be in a relatively unattended place for a decent period of time, I do. I also have a ridiculous alarm system on my truck, so I take some comfort in that... glass breakage sensor, dual shock sensors, tilt sensor, 2-way paging, interior sirens, multiple exterior sirens, battery backup for the alarm, brain in an inaccessible position, etc. It's probably not the greatest alarm system in the world, but it's definitely head-and-shoulders above your average Best Buy installation jobbie.

Anyways, the purpose of this thread is to see how people keep track of their firearms serial numbers? Personally, I've made an Excel file with all the pertinent info for each of my weapons, including manufacturer, model, accessories, serial, condition and approximate value. I've emailed this to myself via 2 email accounts I can access anywhere, and also to my homeowners insurance agent.

Keep in mind, folks, some homeowners policies may not cover firearms... you should ask your agent. You can add an additional rider for them, and it's dirt cheap. I added about $5k worth of guns to my policy for $7 a year. That's right... per YEAR.

I think it's just as important, to take photos of your guns and record the information about them. This will give the police a lot of information should something happen to them.

My next big investment I think will be a safe. I've been looking on here, but I hate to buy a smaller, cheap one, and then outgrow it in less than a year (which I will, assuredly). I'm currently buying 1-2 firearms per month, and several hundred rounds of ammo per month, also. So I think I want to get a big one... just not sure how I'm going to move it. I guess I'll burn that bridge when I get there...

Anyways, I hope some folks take this to heart and create some kind of documentation of your guns. It took me quite a while, but I've finally gotten it done, and it really is a load off my mind.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you know the drill, boat accident etc..

if I had any, the electronic access in the cloud and a hard copy in the safe are the way to go.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an iPhone. There is an app called Gun Tool Box. It allows you to take pictures of your firearms then enter all of the pertinent info you want. You can put in ammo amounts and prices the guns are worth. The whole thing is exportable somehow, I haven't done that yet.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an iPhone. There is an app called Gun Tool Box. It allows you to take pictures of your firearms then enter all of the pertinent info you want. You can put in ammo amounts and prices the guns are worth. The whole thing is exportable somehow, I haven't done that yet.

Thanks for the heads up.

I've taken a picture and added the serial number with a discription of my only gun.:uhh:
I keep it in my safe deposit box.

As for worrying about out growing your safe.......no matter how big it is you will.:smash:

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

This is what I use, the Gun Tool Box. It is a pretty good software, it does have a lock code that can be put in, so even if the phone is stolen and they are able to get into it, they would have to defeat another lock code to get the information out of Gun Tool Box. I think you can store 3 pictures of each gun. I also have an excel file on the computer and hard copies in some different places. I also have a safe that I keep most of the guns in, but bottom line, if the bad guys want them, they will figure out a way to get them. All I am doing is making it more difficult.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
N

Keep in mind, folks, some homeowners policies may not cover firearms... you should ask your agent. You can add an additional rider for them, and it's dirt cheap. I added about $5k worth of guns to my policy for $7 a year. That's right... per YEAR.
If you don't mind me asking, where do you get a rider that cheap? I called my agent (state farm) and asked for a quote for a firearm personal articles policy and for about 5k worth of guns he said it would run around $150 a year I think. Maybe it was different than $150 but it was a heck of a lot more than $7 per year.

As for recording serial numbers. I create a truecrypt folder and store all my firearm related stuff there. Then I can copy it to a thumb drive and give it to my agent and not have to worry about prying eyes. same also applies for the cloud

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Shelter insurance and my agent is in Tulsa. I have a ton of insurance through them - homeowner's, auto and a personal liability policy for I think $1M. I thought that was probably a bit low, too, when he quoted it, but I didn't question it. It may have to do with the low deductibles and high liability limits on all of my policies, which are the highest the company offers in this state. I also have additional riders on some of them, like my truck, for full replacement and a ton of additional equipment.

I think my agent likes me. ;)

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Naw...it's just too much work to write down all the dang numbers and take pictures and store it electronically and in my safe deposit box and online with my insurance company so I got fed up and gave all mine away to some guy who wanted them except for a Rohm .22 I use for CCW and home defense...but I think I left it in the sock drawer in the spare bedroom of my ex-wife's second cousin's mother's house in Puddle, OK. But I'm purdy sure it's not loaded...least, it was last time I looked last year or so. I oughta go get that thing; I hear it's a custom; my cousin Darrell said he could do a trigger job on it and get it real light for me.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought the Gun Tool Box app.
I think it will do all I need for inventory.
You can download a free version to check it out, but it only lets you load one gun.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a list that I email to another one of my accounts that way it's stored on the email server in case of a hard drive loss. Then I also have a list I keep on a thumb drive in a safe. The thumb drive has lots of stuff on it, pics of the inside of my house, electronics, serial #s, paperwork, nudes of my wife... you know, important stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom