Storm shelter questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To each their own. Mines below ground. It stays unlocked and supplied. The door can be secured from inside only. I've been thru 2 smaller ones and seen results of 2 of our largest. I've never heard of an EF10 but that's what you should prepare for. This talk of "above ground" shelter might get ya dead. IMO.

You may be late to this party but we've discussed this subject to death. Every above ground shelter that has taken a direct hit from a tornado has survived intact. I've got photographs from all of the above ground shelters in Piedmont that took direct hits from their EF-5 tornado in 2011. Talked to most of the survivors that rode the tornado out and only one had a complaint. And that was about the sound of the roar from the tornado. You may want to do some more research. In the case of a massive tornado going through a very densely populated area you maybe stuck in one of those below ground cubby hole shelters in your garage for a while. Emergency services quickly get overwhelmed. I'd make plans of some type for self-rescue. Otherwise make it comfortable enough to spend hours in. Be aware if you have any family members that have claustriphobia. That's one complaint I heard about the coffin size shelters.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is getting installed in a couple weeks. I went with an above ground safe room from ground zero. It will be installed in my garage and I will still be able to park 3 cars in there. They have a picture of this shelter that survived the F5 Moore tornado and everything was gone except for this. It's like a bank vault. The door opens inwards too in case of debris.

My neighbor had an in ground from another company put in his garage and it has floated up twice. My sister keeps getting standing water inside hers. This made me go above ground.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Let me throw a question into this thread.

We (wife and I) are thinking about an above ground shelter...in the garage.

But....being this is a new home..and even though its a very nice home...builders cut corners.

How do..or..how would I know if my garage slab foundation is strong enough to hold the bolts on an above ground shelter...DURING A TORNADO? ??

I understand the need for hearing protection in an above ground. What concerns me is the foundation buckeling..in turn breaking and releasing the bolts that hold down the shelter. Can the shelter company do a core/drill sample to see how deep the concrete is to make sure it can hold the shelter during a storm??

You say it's a new home. You're having it built? Or you're buying a newly built home?

I bought my current living quarters from a guy who had it built. He had it built, and moved in with no inspection. I had it inspected by a structural engineer. The engineer discovered that the south roof line had no purlin and that their was a significant depression in the roof. The owner had to correct that before the sale could go through.

I would recommend you hire a structural engineer to inspect the house. He can answer all of your questions definitively.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me throw a question into this thread.

We (wife and I) are thinking about an above ground shelter...in the garage.

But....being this is a new home..and even though its a very nice home...builders cut corners.

How do..or..how would I know if my garage slab foundation is strong enough to hold the bolts on an above ground shelter...DURING A TORNADO? ??

I understand the need for hearing protection in an above ground. What concerns me is the foundation buckeling..in turn breaking and releasing the bolts that hold down the shelter. Can the shelter company do a core/drill sample to see how deep the concrete is to make sure it can hold the shelter during a storm??

You can rent a core drill for a few bucks. I did this before I installed my 2 post lift in the shop. It needed to be 3.5" concrete at or above 3000 psi crush strength. Turns out it was 4" and 4500 psi. A local materials lab can do the crush test.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't doubt that the above-ground shelters can handle a 300 MPH wind. I do question whether they can handle a direct hit from a 150MPH Ford propelled by that wind. It's not likely that you'd be hit by the car, but I figure a direct hit from an F5 is statistically unlikely as it is, and I'm not going to bet on my day getting any more normal.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on Ground Zero above ground. My father had a 6' x 4' installed in his garage. Paid extra for the reinforced cage but well worth the money. Main reason we had to go that route was at his age my father would have a hard time getting into an underground shelter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom