Taylor Swift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masnor

Marksman
Reaction score
Escapism. She’s young, she’s pretty, and apparently she has a modicum of musical talent. People glom onto opportunities to escape the reality of their own humdrum lives, and TS represents an attractive venue for that.

I couldn’t tell you what Ms. Swift’s music sounds like though, much less how good or bad it is. If the world was made up of more people like me, Ms. Swift would probably be flipping burgers while going to school.
First, I'm not a big fan of her music but have listened. But I thought the comments here were hilarious for a bunch of grumpy old men, a category in which I belong. But the "modicum of musical talent" comment made me grin. Here is what modicum gets you, I guess. Taylor Swift Makes History as First Artist With Entire Top 10 on Billboard Hot 100, Led by ‘Anti-Hero’ at No. 1

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a little old school and was picked on as a kid because I was small.
I came to the mindset of if you do not have something nice to say then don't say anything.

And the mindset of: I want to defend the person being picked on.
I was small but I was tough.

And one last mindset: There is something nice or pretty about everyone you just have to look hard enough.

That last one is a little tough sometimes.

Good Morning all OSAer's

OKgetdown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no real problem with Taylor. She seems to have her finger on the pulse of young lady America for whatever reason. And had for a long time. She’s hella talented. I just don’t sit in her demographic. So I don’t really listen.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A billionaire entertainer
Actually, I do kinda know who she is. Also that she's dating a football player I'd never heard of until the media decided we needed another distraction. I've even heard a couple of her songs. Pleasant enough without being memorable. If I have the radio on, it's tuned to KOMA. Otherwise I have a few hundred albums I've ripped from CD loaded on my phone or other electronic gadget, and listen to that. Marty Robbins, Sweet, Tom Lehrer, Moody Blues, etc., that I like with no particular genre too heavily represented. If I live another 50 years there might someday be a Taylor Swift song in there, but isn't now. ;)

mahatma

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 3 teen grand daughters that are big time "Swifties." They spent a fortune to go to her most recent concert. I could not tell you what any of her songs are but they know them all.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never made as much money as Marilyn Manson either and I don’t like his art just because he’s made a bunch of money performing.

I don’t like Wal-Mart either, but they are the most successful brick & mortar retailer of all time.

Just because someone is successful that doesn’t mean everyone likes their product. I wouldn’t think this audience would have more than a few fans, and that’s okay and it doesn’t make this demographic bad people.

There's a difference between not liking their product and dispersions and insults.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, Taylor Swift falls into the same category as Bruce Springsteen--their music is a lot better when someone else is singing it.

Of course, I've discovered that there's quite a bit of music where I like the PMJ covers and can't stand the originals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom