Thanksgiving food sucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My folks passed some years ago and my siblings are scattered all over so Thanksgiving happens at my in-laws. My MIL, bless her heart, simply cannot cook. Oh, she tries but bless her heart.......... If anyone offers to cook "Belgian Celery" for you.....just pass. And don't cook your turkey in the microwave!

We have been buying Ralph's smoked turkey for a few years now and we took over making the sides. The holiday has been saved.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be happy to get some breakfast.

I could live the rest of my life and never eat turkey and I wouldn't miss it. Although it isn't to bad chopped up and made into turkey salad sandwich.
I don't mind cornbread dressing/ stuffing. But I don't want stuffing with white bread in it.

Sweet potatoes cooked with butter and brown sugar , none of that marshmallow garbage.

Fresh homemade rolls and butter. Not those premade rolls in the bread Isle.

Not a pumpkin pie fan. Pecan pie for the win .

Not a fan of green bean casserole.

Don't really need mashed potatoes when there is sweet potatoes.

Black olives

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best Thanksgiving I had was with friends in Texas. They couldn't agree on what to make, so basically each of them made a full spread of what they wanted. They had to have made 60# of meat and 20 different sides that year...for a family of 4 plus me.
Husband liked smoked turkey, so he made smoked turkey and all the sides HE liked.
Wife liked salty ham, so she made a full salty ham with all the sides SHE likes.
Daughter #1 liked traditional turkey, so she made a traditional turkey with all the sides SHE liked.
Daughter #2 liked sweet ham, so she made a sweet ham with all the sides SHE liked.

It was absolute madness.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My family does Boiled shrimp, smoked venison backstrap, tamales, candied bacon strips and assortment of all kinds of tasty snack finger foods, Baby back ribs and BBQ boneless chicken thighs. Usually sweet potato pie and big fresh baked cookies and home made ice cream.
If I do any turkey I spatchcock a hen and smoke it with the chicken thighs.
One year I smoked a prime rib to perfection but too expensive these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom