The demise of Amy Winehouse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's well documented that she walked away from rehab many times.

What is sad are the thousands of addicts who die every year who never received any support or had any chance to go to rehab or receive treatment.

Look at it this way, if a person has a curable form of cancer, but doesn't want to do the chemo/radiation treatments because they are unpleasant...do you feel any compassion for that person? They had the opportunity to get well, but refused to do it. They made the choice to die, just as winehouse made the choice to die.

Addiction is a disease, but at some point personal accountability comes into play. She CHOSE not to get well, and suffered the consequences of her choice.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly, we are dealing with that with my son. I have never felt so completely helpless in my life. Short of kidnapping him and forcing him to rehab, you have to watch it kill them. Forcing them will only work long enough for them to get out. What ultimately brought your sister around, if you don't mind me asking?

She just hit bottom and asked for help. Its almost like they have to decide that they are ready. Some of my family just shut her out. I was there for her, but I quit giving her money and would not get her out of jail anymore. She would hate me, but would call me in time. She also met a guy who is great. He takes care of her and will not tolerate drug use. We just take it day by day and pray that she will stay clean.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's well documented that she walked away from rehab many times.

What is sad are the thousands of addicts who die every year who never received any support or had any chance to go to rehab or receive treatment.

Look at it this way, if a person has a curable form of cancer, but doesn't want to do the chemo/radiation treatments because they are unpleasant...do you feel any compassion for that person? They had the opportunity to get well, but refused to do it. They made the choice to die, just as winehouse made the choice to die.

Addiction is a disease, but at some point personal accountability comes into play. She CHOSE not to get well, and suffered the consequences of her choice.

To be fair addiction is often more a symptom of disease than it is a disease itself. Every single addict I've known had some serious mental issues that led them to addiction in the first place. Bottom line is, they don't really want to be alive. The drugs are an escape and a slow suicide.

You can't really count on someone that troubled to make any sound decision. She obviously didn't want help, didn't want to live in this world sober, and ultimately she didn't want to be alive at all anymore.

It is sad, but that's just life. Some people are born with physical ailments that can't be cured...some people have mental problems that can't be fixed. For a select few of them, they are destined to numb themselves out with drugs until their final escape - death. Some people can't be fixed, no matter how much we like to think everybody is fixable. Winehouse obviously wasn't fixable.

That's just how things go. I know a couple addicts personally that will never be cured. I know one who is clean now after decades of use (as far as I know), but he still can't function in society, so he escapes via other means, such as ceasing contact with people including his child and his parents, being reclusive and even disappearing for lengthy amounts of time. Every day sucks for these kinds of people, and all they can do is distance themselves from reality until they eventually die. If you get them off drugs, they a still have the same issues that led them to drugs, and they WILL find another escape.

That's just how it is, and not much can be done about it. Not everybody is meant to live.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be fair addiction is often more a symptom of disease than it is a disease itself. Every single addict I've known had some serious mental issues that led them to addiction in the first place. Bottom line is, they don't really want to be alive. The drugs are an escape and a slow suicide.

You can't really count on someone that troubled to make any sound decision. She obviously didn't want help, didn't want to live in this world sober, and ultimately she didn't want to be alive at all anymore.

It is sad, but that's just life. Some people are born with physical ailments that can't be cured...some people have mental problems that can't be fixed. For a select few of them, they are destined to numb themselves out with drugs until their final escape - death. Some people can't be fixed, no matter how much we like to think everybody is fixable. Winehouse obviously wasn't fixable.

That's just how things go. I know a couple addicts personally that will never be cured. I know one who is clean now after decades of use (as far as I know), but he still can't function in society, so he escapes via other means, such as ceasing contact with people including his child and his parents, being reclusive and even disappearing for lengthy amounts of time. Every day sucks for these kinds of people, and all they can do is distance themselves from reality until they eventually die. If you get them off drugs, they a still have the same issues that led them to drugs, and they WILL find another escape.

That's just how it is, and not much can be done about it. Not everybody is meant to live.

Wow! :ooh2:

Nuthin' but the cold, hard truth...but, wow! :ooh2:

Good post. :respect:

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I think it's very hard for somebody who hasn't experienced it firsthand (or something close to it) to really understand or make that connection.
Yes, they have to want to stop, but very often it's difficult for someone who's abusing to find a reason to want to stop........something I can totally identify with.

Good post, BTW.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Ted's article too... sums it up pretty good.

I wish the media would spend as much time celebrating the lives of those who have found the will to beat their demons. Those are the lessons and examples that we can learn the most from.

...but that doesn't sell many newspapers does it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom