The demise of Amy Winehouse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As in past threads, Its cool to legalize drugs. sounds like a good thing to me.

Another thought, Who the f is she and who really cares?
Just another druggie.
Maybe her family and friends? :anyone:

Drug legalization/prohibition really doesn't have much at all to do with addiction.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about the drugs she took or her particular addiction(s), but I'm on oxy for chronic pain and I think it would be extremely easy to cross the line. I feel the urge almost daily to take more than I need. It's a seductive world. I think that calling addiction a 'disease' is a cop-out, but I doubt that most people who become addicts planned it that way.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is sad news to me, but then I spent 10 years getting my sister off of meth. I have seen first hand, how easy it is to get hooked, and how hard it is to get off of it. Thank God, My sister is clean now.

Sadly, we are dealing with that with my son. I have never felt so completely helpless in my life. Short of kidnapping him and forcing him to rehab, you have to watch it kill them. Forcing them will only work long enough for them to get out. What ultimately brought your sister around, if you don't mind me asking?

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about the drugs she took or her particular addiction(s), but I'm on oxy for chronic pain and I think it would be extremely easy to cross the line. I feel the urge almost daily to take more than I need. It's a seductive world. I think that calling addiction a 'disease' is a cop-out, but I doubt that most people who become addicts planned it that way.
I used to think there was no merit to the 'disease' factor, but my thinking has changed based on my studies.

Let me tell you something about oxy....it works very well if you legitimately need it, but needs to be respected because it is extremely addictive and can sneak up on you before you even know what happened.
Opiate addicition makes meth look like child's play....so don't screw around with it.

Sadly, we are dealing with that with my son. I have never felt so completely helpless in my life. Short of kidnapping him and forcing him to rehab, you have to watch it kill them. Forcing them will only work long enough for them to get out. What ultimately brought your sister around, if you don't mind me asking?
gillman, PM me

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen opiate addicition in some lawyers I have known, and watched them destroy their families and careers, despite everyone's best efforts to help them.

It is some bad, bad stuff. Please be careful.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Don't mention it, brother.

You're right about this: "People who have not been there, will never know"

I know this to be very true because I had adopted that attitude myself at some point and didn't really understand it.
On the other hand I got to learn the hard way (as I often do) the other side of it when I actually *became* an addict.
It's definitely a tough fight...one that I've battled with for many years.

I haven't posted much about it on here over the years for some seemingly rather obvious reasons, but...it is what it is.

Well said.

Sure, did she bring it on herself, yeah. But that doesn't make it any less sad that she died to drugs.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well said.

Sure, did she bring it on herself, yeah. But that doesn't make it any less sad that she died to drugs.

No, its not sad. I have the utmost compassion for addicts who struggle and who want help. I am in no way disrepecting any one here who struggles with addiction or who has a loved one who is struggling.

I have no compassion for winehouse as she had more resources and opportunities to get help with her disease than 99.99% of the people who struggle with addiction. For gahds sake, this woman's most famous song is about her refusal to go to rehab!

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no compassion for winehouse as she had more resources and opportunities to get help with her disease than 99.99% of the people who struggle with addiction. For gahds sake, this woman's most famous song is about her refusal to go to rehab!

Did you know her personally? You must know every detail of her life to talk about her that way.

No, that isn't her most famous song.

Latest posts

Top Bottom