Thinking about getting an ak-47 or ar-15...opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microsoftisevil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have a Romanian WASR-10 high cap AK-47 for quite some time. I'd estimate that I ran 10k+ rounds through it. I shot Wolf ammo because it was dirt cheap at the time, and I really didn't' care if it was dirty. It rarely, if ever, malfunctioned.

My biggest beef with that gun was that the steel they use is cheap and will think about rusting if you so much as look at it funny. If you decide to get one, be sure to keep those fingerprints oiled down. Second beef was that my model was a "high cap" model meaning that it was a single stack that was cut out to accept the double stack mags. Not really a problem, but it lacked the magazine dimples. Sometimes my mags would jam and it would take me a few seconds to pull it out and reload. I'd recommend not getting one unless it was originally made for high cap mags and has the dimples.

When they are new, the stocks are usually pretty rough. I sanded mine down until it was baby smooth and felt really nice against my cheek :thumb:

One thing to watch with the AKs is that you get one that is put together straight. You want to make sure that the front sights are not canted to one side. The gun that I had shot VERY straight. I was amazed at the accuracy, all things considered.

There are a million parts and accessories made for them. I'd recommend getting a recoil buffer first thing. It will increase the longevity of the receiver.

My opinion is that both are excellent guns that won't let you down. However, the AK is going to be A LOT cheaper and will be just as fun to shoot..... spend that extra cash on ammo and shoot the heck out of it.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a Romanian WASR-10 high cap AK-47 for quite some time. I'd estimate that I ran 10k+ rounds through it. I shot Wolf ammo because it was dirt cheap at the time, and I really didn't' care if it was dirty. It rarely, if ever, malfunctioned.

My biggest beef with that gun was that the steel they use is cheap and will think about rusting if you so much as look at it funny. If you decide to get one, be sure to keep those fingerprints oiled down. Second beef was that my model was a "high cap" model meaning that it was a single stack that was cut out to accept the double stack mags. Not really a problem, but it lacked the magazine dimples. Sometimes my mags would jam and it would take me a few seconds to pull it out and reload. I'd recommend not getting one unless it was originally made for high cap mags and has the dimples.

When they are new, the stocks are usually pretty rough. I sanded mine down until it was baby smooth and felt really nice against my cheek :thumb:

One thing to watch with the AKs is that you get one that is put together straight. You want to make sure that the front sights are not canted to one side. The gun that I had shot VERY straight. I was amazed at the accuracy, all things considered.

There are a million parts and accessories made for them. I'd recommend getting a recoil buffer first thing. It will increase the longevity of the receiver.

My opinion is that both are excellent guns that won't let you down. However, the AK is going to be A LOT cheaper and will be just as fun to shoot..... spend that extra cash on ammo and shoot the heck out of it.

All WASR AKs come without dimples. There are guide "fingers" inside the receiver that are ground down when receiver is cutout for double stack magazines. This is true for the wasr10s and the wasr10/63. As for the canted sights I would not buy any century arms import sight unseen. There are many kalashnikov options out there. I currently have a Maadi, Mak 90, Arsenal SLR 105, and a WASR 10/63 and I luv em all.

I too have a prissy little tight chambered AR 15.

Latest posts

Top Bottom