Tips for moving a safe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am moving a safe and would like to to see if there are any tricks to do this with minimal help. The safe is on newish hardwood floors in a home office. It will need to travel across some tile too.

Currently the safe is sitting on some adhesive felt pads and slides fairly easy on the hardwood, at least it did when it was placed in the office.

Does anyone have any tricks to moving one of these without damaging the hardwood or tile?
Lift with your legs....:urwelcome:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So when you say nylon, are you talking something similar to cutting board material? Something like high density polyethylene that is essentially self lubricating?

Every time I've moved anything on hardwood by sliding it there were marks left on the wood. Not scratches necessarily but polished lines. I recently bought a new safe. It weighs just over 1000 pounds. The guys that moved it into my shop used wooden strips about 3 feet long that were topped with nylon. The wooden strips looked like 1/2" x 2" and the nylon was approximately the same. The little devices were tapered on the ends. They had 8 of them and they were lain side-by-side with ends overlapping a bit. Looked like they made a rail road track. The safe slide on these so easy two people easily slide the safe across the room. The workers said they use these on any type of flooring from concrete to carpet.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No way I'd move a 350 lb.safe to a second floor apartment for "a few months". I recently moved and had a freezer full of meat to move. The movers barely got it in the truck up the ramp without a problem. There was a very near catastrophe...and I'd guess the freezer was well under 300 lbs.
Yeah, just called the movers and it requires another person so I'll just offer a buddy some beer and get it to storage. Good call.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Know a guy that was helping a friend move one, the owner ended up losing his grip and dropping it. Crushed the guy's ball and socket in his shoulder, needed like 10 surgeries to get it working again. It seemed so strange that his skin was bruised but otherwise undamaged while the bones were pulp.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a couple cases of beer, invite your buddies over and they'll move the safe but don't let them drink first or you may have some big problems.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UHMW Poly is probably what they used. The guy that delivered my safe years ago used those. He sprayed some lubricant on them first. I put some together years ago when I moved my safe within the house. I wish I had thought about PVC first. Could have saved a bunch of money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom