Tips for moving a safe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are moving next weekend and I debated long and hard about this one.....but i decided to just let the movers deal with it. I'm moving to a 2nd floor apartment for a few months, then to the new house. I'll let them deal with it....Mine is not that big....I think around 350 lbs. I need to confirm they can move it upstairs, if not, it may have to go into storage (without the guns obviously)

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are moving next weekend and I debated long and hard about this one.....but i decided to just let the movers deal with it. I'm moving to a 2nd floor apartment for a few months, then to the new house. I'll let them deal with it....Mine is not that big....I think around 350 lbs. I need to confirm they can move it upstairs, if not, it may have to go into storage (without the guns obviously)
No way I'd move a 350 lb.safe to a second floor apartment for "a few months". I recently moved and had a freezer full of meat to move. The movers barely got it in the truck up the ramp without a problem. There was a very near catastrophe...and I'd guess the freezer was well under 300 lbs.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get you some Super Sliders. These things are amazing! I would, as suggested, put something down like cardboard or carpet scrap to slide it on. I have marked vinyl flooring sliding these things on it. Not bad, but noticeable. I don't remember what we paid for them. They weren't expensive, but paid for themselves the first time we used them. I have no idea how many times I have loaned them out, and people are just amazed by them! They have moved at least three safes.

Super Sliders.jpg

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I used to move very large safes in and out of banks. Plywood and steel rods make easy work of it. We also used a pallet jack and large pry bars a lot.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every time I've moved anything on hardwood by sliding it there were marks left on the wood. Not scratches necessarily but polished lines. I recently bought a new safe. It weighs just over 1000 pounds. The guys that moved it into my shop used wooden strips about 3 feet long that were topped with nylon. The wooden strips looked like 1/2" x 2" and the nylon was approximately the same. The little devices were tapered on the ends. They had 8 of them and they were lain side-by-side with ends overlapping a bit. Looked like they made a rail road track. The safe slide on these so easy two people easily slide the safe across the room. The workers said they use these on any type of flooring from concrete to carpet.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every time I've moved anything on hardwood by sliding it there were marks left on the wood. Not scratches necessarily but polished lines. I recently bought a new safe. It weighs just over 1000 pounds. The guys that moved it into my shop used wooden strips about 3 feet long that were topped with nylon. The wooden strips looked like 1/2" x 2" and the nylon was approximately the same. The little devices were tapered on the ends. They had 8 of them and they were lain side-by-side with ends overlapping a bit. Looked like they made a rail road track. The safe slide on these so easy two people easily slide the safe across the room. The workers said they use these on any type of flooring from concrete to carpet.
winner!

Latest posts

Top Bottom