Trail Cams

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wanting to get a trail cam or two and was wondering about what y'all think is a good cheap camera. Im considering the Wildgame Innovations Ir4. But I hear mixed reviews about every camera. Any ideas?

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check them out on Amazon, Cabelas and Bass Pro - Read the reviews. This is some of the best information you can get.

I don't know about cheap, but I bought an HCO a couiple years ago and really like it. I think it is worth the money.

They are not sold in store to the best of my knowledge, which isn't much according to some. They are at www.bestgamecamera.com

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used the cheaper versions for years and have very few complaints. I think many of the complaints people have are from improper set up. With a PIR (passive infrared sensor) to trigger camera, it will need to be set up with a good solid backstop. That is why many camera's directions say to hang it angled toward the ground. If it is set up around a bait pile or feeder you will have more luck than setting up on a trail. Most cameras take a few seconds to activate and if set up on a trail the deer that triggers it may have walked past already. If you can aim it down the length of the trail it will give you more time to get the pic.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are so right about all of that. I have some friends that have the Moultree 40's that they really like. Bass Pro puts a pretty good sale on them from time to time, less than $100.00. I thought about doing that just so I could afford put more of them out.

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used both the Moultrie D40 and the Wildgame IR4 last year.

I would highly recommend the D40 over the IR4

Both cameras cost about the same. $70ish

D40 Pros
-Excellent battery life. 6 D-cell batteries last up two months
-Can get a solar charger/battery for unlimited battery life
-Upt to 4 GB memory card
-Color Pics at night
-Can shoot video
-Laser Aim

D40 Cons
-Regular flash

IR4 Pros
-IR Flash

IR4 Cons
-Battery life uses 4 C-cell lasted up to two weeks
-No solar charger/battery
-Up to 2GB memory
-Black and white pics at night
-No Video
-No laser aim

The deer and other wildlife didn't seem to mind the regular flash. I got a ton of night pics and the deer would hang around for a long while and they kept coming back.

I think the D40 is the better camera. I bought two more for this year along with the solar charger/batteries.

You can get a Moultrie D50 at bass pro next week for $69. It's essentially the same as the D40 but with a 5mp camera instead of the 4mp on the D40. Hope this helps.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had good luck with the stealthcams, and I prefer the flash to the IR.
I'm on private property, so a flash going off won't attract a thief like it will on public, and no matter what the manufactures say, a flash will NOT spook a deer. They think its lightning.

okieshooter44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used both the Moultrie D40 and the Wildgame IR4 last year.

I would highly recommend the D40 over the IR4

Both cameras cost about the same. $70ish

D40 Pros
-Excellent battery life. 6 D-cell batteries last up two months
-Can get a solar charger/battery for unlimited battery life
-Upt to 4 GB memory card
-Color Pics at night
-Can shoot video
-Laser Aim

D40 Cons
-Regular flash

IR4 Pros
-IR Flash

IR4 Cons
-Battery life uses 4 C-cell lasted up to two weeks
-No solar charger/battery
-Up to 2GB memory
-Black and white pics at night
-No Video
-No laser aim

The deer and other wildlife didn't seem to mind the regular flash. I got a ton of night pics and the deer would hang around for a long while and they kept coming back.

I think the D40 is the better camera. I bought two more for this year along with the solar charger/batteries.

You can get a Moultrie D50 at bass pro next week for $69. It's essentially the same as the D40 but with a 5mp camera instead of the 4mp on the D40. Hope this helps.

Very Helpful. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom