True Grit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get a chance... read some of the letters that were sent from this part of the country (heck, anyplace in North America) back between the Act of Northern Agression and the First World War.

People got a lot of mileage out of the grammer they could learn by grade 8. I did not find the dialouge stilted at all.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get a chance... read some of the letters that were sent from this part of the country (heck, anyplace in North America) back between the Act of Northern Agression and the First World War.

People got a lot of mileage out of the grammer they could learn by grade 8. I did not find the dialouge stilted at all.

I didn't either. In fact that was one of the few things I found enjoyable about the movie. I read some letters that my great-grandmother had from her grandfather and grandmother's courtship. They were written very much like the dialogue in the movie.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And ... I thought Daemon was not too bad as the Ranger. If the Ranger came across as tough and edgy as Rooster we would loose some of the confict that makes the story work.

Heath Ledger would have been a better choice.. but he's dead. Glen Cambell, in the original, would have been out-acted by a cardboard cutout.

I got the idea that maybe he was not written as the most mature guy... he is supposed to be a little full of himself. We see that in the exchanges with Rooster where they get into thos little skunk pissin contests...like shooting corn dodgers, etc.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I try to tell everyone who argues "John Wayne IS Rooster!"
No, John Wayne IS John Wayne. he PLAYED Rooster, but he played him as John Wayne. Bridges PLAYED Rooster as an aging, alcoholic, trigger-happy US Marshall.

while i agree with what you are saying, John Wayne's whole persona was not really his. he "borrowed" it from Yakima Canutt. Canutt was an early stuntman, world champion bronc rider, and cowboy, who died pennyless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakima_Canutt
[Canutt and Wayne pioneered stunt and screen fighting techniques still in use. Much of Wayne's on-screen persona was from Canutt. The characterizations associated with Wayne - the drawling, hesitant speech and the hip-rolling walk - were pure Canutt.[9] Said Wayne, "I spent weeks studying the way Yakima Canutt walked and talked. He was a real cowhand."]

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a fan of the original, but I really like the new version as well. I agree with BB that the girl steals the show. If there's an Oscar coming for the new movie I think it should be to her. I like the music track in the new one too.

Bridges does an OK job in the new one, but NOBODY says, "FILL YOUR HAND...YOU SOB" better than the DUKE.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
while i agree with what you are saying, John Wayne's whole persona was not really his. he "borrowed" it from Yakima Canutt. Canutt was an early stuntman, world champion bronc rider, and cowboy, who died pennyless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakima_Canutt
[Canutt and Wayne pioneered stunt and screen fighting techniques still in use. Much of Wayne's on-screen persona was from Canutt. The characterizations associated with Wayne - the drawling, hesitant speech and the hip-rolling walk - were pure Canutt.[9] Said Wayne, "I spent weeks studying the way Yakima Canutt walked and talked. He was a real cowhand."]

Depends on your source as to who taught John Wayne his walk. Harry Carey, Jr. said that actor Paul Fix taught John Wayne "the walk'' because Wayne was so stiff when he acted and needed something to loosen him up. He also said some thought it was similar to Marilyn Monroe's walk. Most say Wayne learned his fighting and riding skills from Canutt, not the walk.

"And now Carey fills us in on the birth of the legendary John Wayne walk:

Because Duke was kind of heavy-footed and used to trudge more than walk, Paul told Duke to point his toes when he walked, and the “John Wayne walk” was born. Try it yourself. Take a step and point your toe, like you’re stabbing it into the ground-left foot, right foot. Your shoulders automatically move back and forth, and the hips follow, not unlike Marilyn Monroe’s walk. When Duke first did it, it was ballsey as hell. As the Wayne legend began to form, the walk became more pronounced. Rio Bravo or any of the “Rios” are good examples
."
http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/r...lywood-unveiled-john-wayne-walks-like-a-girl/ and http://books.google.com/books?id=dO...epage&q=who taught john wayne to walk&f=false

Latest posts

Top Bottom