True Grit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lump

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had the opportunity to watch the original this morning. All though I liked the new one more, I did not dislike the original.

I also had a real problem with this:
[Broken External Image]
really couldn't take the movie seriously.

Cimarron

Marksman
Reaction score
I saw the movie on the 22nd over at Stillwater. I'm old enough to have seen the 1969 verson in the theater. I always liked John Wayne. Kind of like MacDonalds you always knew what you were going to get. He could however act when working with directors like John Ford or Howard Hawks. In my opinion "The Searchers" was his best film followed closely by "Red River". In most of his other films he is just playing John Wayne. As for his version of "True Grit" I liked it when I first saw it and I still do. It was a "hollywood" film. That is to say no attention to detail (just where exactly in Oklahoma are those snow capped mountains). Also his good old big loop lever Model 1892 Winchester, not even made until 14 years after the time period "True Grit" is set in. Thats just the way westerns were made years ago.

My biggest complaint about the new version, and it isn't really a complaint, is that it wasn't filmed in Oklahoma. The scenery is closer to Oklahoma but still a little "hollywoodsy" in a couple of scenes. They got pretty much everything else right, costumes, sets,firearms etc.. I wish they could have expanded the role of Ned Pepper played by Barry Pepper as I think Barry did a great job of playing Lucky Ned.

As for compairing the two it was pretty well said on a nother site that it is like trying to compare Winchesters and Marlins.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got to see it.

My wife sort of begrudgingly went 'cause I had been saying I wanted to see it.

I was really surprised at her reaction, mine as well.

I enjoyed it, probably a bit more than the original (maybe because I NEVER was a Glen Campbell fan).

More importantly, my wife enjoyed it. Really enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised. Didn't realize how much she like it, till we sat down to watch it on AMC this weekend. Something I don't think she would have done before seeing the new version.

Dave

Wlnixonjr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seen them both. There is not a lot of difference between the two. For me, nothing and nobody can top the Duke. But, the new one, a remake, is indeed a great movie!

WWJWD?

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm reading all these posts about both movies and seeing both movies and enjoying the "Fill Your Hands" scenes.

Then, I slip in my DeathWish DVD.

In the final shootout scene, Bronson is looking down the stairs at one of the muggers and says "Fill Your Hands".

Wonder where he got that line?

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom