True Grit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To write the script using verbatum text was a miss. Books written in that time period did not reflect the actual spoken language. At the turn of the century (that last one for you young whipper-snappers), it was poor form to use contractions in written text (e.g., shouldn't, couldn't, don't...). But nobody in this part of the country actually talked in the formal, proper English.

It wasn't supposed to be an accurate representation of period speech. It was supposed to be a film version of the book.

At first I thought the language was kind of stilted, but it didn't bother me after a little bit. Also I think that the comedic timing of some lines ("I do not know him" after they cut the guy down from the tree) worked better that way.

Also the book was written in 1968, and I think they'd gotten over contractions by then.

Matt Damon was a miss. He was too soft to play the role of weathered Texas Ranger.

I haven't read the book, but I got the impression that LaBoeuf was supposed to be a cocky jerkass, not a seasoned Texas Ranger. Damon plays that part well.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look, John Wayne was a great STAR but a horrible ACTOR.

That means that any movie he's in, he's basically just John Wayne. People payed to see John Wayne, not Rooster Cogburn.

I personally don't care to see Jeff Bridges be himself in a movie, but he's really good at portraying Rooster Cogburn.

This is what I try to tell everyone who argues "John Wayne IS Rooster!"
No, John Wayne IS John Wayne. he PLAYED Rooster, but he played him as John Wayne. Bridges PLAYED Rooster as an aging, alcoholic, trigger-happy US Marshall.

My biggest beef is that Hollywood writers can't come up with some original scripts. Omega Man (Charlton Heston) remade into I Am Legend. Remake/redo (whatever) True Grit. Now I'm seeing advertisements for a mulligan on The Mechanic (originally starring Charles Bronson).

How many times have you watched a movie and 15 minutes into it, you knew what was going to happen?

First, Omega Man was an adaptation of a book. Before Omega man was The Last man on Earth, then Omega Man, then I am Legend, also the same year, I am Omega. All based on the same book. So Omega Man in '71 was in the same situation as True Grit in '10, an adaptation of a novel which already had an adaptation. So in 30 years they can make True Grit again, basing it on the book and then it will be like I am legend, a third adaptation.

Second, I sort of agree with you on the Mechanic, if you watch the trailer, it looks like they completely changed the story and added more action. I'll see it because I liked the original and enjoy action movies.

I have no problem with remakes. Its an attempt, in my view, to see if Hollywood will actually do something that reflects the book. Most movies I see are book adaptations and suck compared to the book. I say bring on more remakes.

What I can stand are the same stories, just packaged up differently. THATS WORSE THAN A REMAKE. But I guess you do what you gotta do. There's only so many archtypes.

I have no issue with remakes. If they suck, I still have the original, if they are good, awesome I have two versions to enjoy. What is lost by a remake? Also, remakes tend to get me special edition blurays or dvds of the originals, for instance, True Grit '69 is now out on special edition bluray. It also brings more attention to the older work. People who maybe are too young or were at the time, become aware of the original work and possibly interested in it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I try to tell everyone who argues "John Wayne IS Rooster!"
No, John Wayne IS John Wayne. he PLAYED Rooster, but he played him as John Wayne. Bridges PLAYED Rooster as an aging, alcoholic, trigger-happy US Marshall.

OMG ... you mean he played him as a ...

wait for it ...

Jack-Booted Thug??!??!!??

And no, we still haven't made it to the theatre ... :doh:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:thumbup3: Seriously though, as soon as you have the time and money to spare, go. Then we can hear your opinion on the matter! :mosh:

We were gonna go last week to celebrate GC hitting his 20 years with OHP but then wound up over at LoneWolf'49's house looking at guns and sewing machines ...

Thought we would go the next night but the Lt. called and changed GC's schedule ...

I think he is actually getting more than a few days off next week ... so I'll probably give him the rest of his retirement present then. This is one of the few movies we have both wanted to see so we really better get with it. That probably won't happen again for another 10 years ... :wink2:

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were gonna go last week to celebrate GC hitting his 20 years with OHP but then wound up over at LoneWolf'49's house looking at guns and sewing machines ...

Thought we would go the next night but the Lt. called and changed GC's schedule ...

I think he is actually getting more than a few days off next week ... so I'll probably give him the rest of his retirement present then. This is one of the few movies we have both wanted to see so we really better get with it. That probably won't happen again for another 10 years ... :wink2:

Sounds like me and Cowgirl23. She's dying to get me to watch those Twilight flicks and I absolutely refuse. Also on my refuse list of late: Charlie St. Cloud, Remember Me, The Notebook, and so on.

Is it weird that the only love stories I dig are The Princess Bride, Rocky, and Brokeback Mountain?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ... we went yesterday ... glad it was to the matinee ...

It was okay ... GC really liked it ... if it hadn't been for Hailee Steinfeld I would have shot myself though. That young lady stole the show.

Jeff Bridges did do a good job as did Josh Brolin ... Matt Damon?? ehhh not so much.

This all kinda surprised me because I am one of those folks who thinks the Dude abides ...

Am gonna see the John Wayne version Saturday night when it comes on. Although I am not holding out much hope for it. Plot was just way too straightforward and predictable for me.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ... we went yesterday ... glad it was to the matinee ...

It was okay ... GC really liked it ... if it hadn't been for Hailee Steinfeld I would have shot myself though. That young lady stole the show.

Jeff Bridges did do a good job as did Josh Brolin ... Matt Damon?? ehhh not so much.

This all kinda surprised me because I am one of those folks who thinks the Dude abides ...

Am gonna see the John Wayne version Saturday night when it comes on. Although I am not holding out much hope for it. Plot was just way too straightforward and predictable for me.

Fair Enough. See guys? An honest review from an unbiased viewer who has not even seen the '69 version. If she didn't like it, she didn't like it. But she gave it a chance without deciding she wouldn't like it before she saw it. And for that I thank you, BadgeBunny.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fair Enough. See guys? An honest review from an unbiased viewer who has not even seen the '69 version. If she didn't like it, she didn't like it. But she gave it a chance without deciding she wouldn't like it before she saw it. And for that I thank you, BadgeBunny.

Your welcome ... :D

GC and I very rarely have the same taste in movies but I gotta admit I thought I was going to really like this one. And it did have its moments. Even though it was not my kinda movie I will be really surprised if a couple of folks (Jeff and Hailee) don't get Oscar nods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom