US Flag Code Violations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always breaks my heart to see US Flag Code violations on TV as the camera is panning around the crowd. It makes me want to educate those people that the US Flag is not to be used as a blanket, dragging against the bleachers with their spilled sodas and crushed candies, held by hands that are feeding greasy nachos and sometimes absorbing the sweat of the person wrapping it around them.

Of all the places, this weekend I was taken to the OU v Air Force game and there was a guy in a green flight suit, patriotic hat and shoes with the Flag wrapped around his shoulders, which he'd occasional hold up and shake.

Being as the stadium was essentially full, I couldn't get to him to talk to him about it until he got up. I ran him down and asked him if he was aware he was violating the US Flag Code. He said no, and that Olympians do the same thing. I quizzed him real quick if he was an actual service member (said he was a Lt that had graduated from the AF Academy a couple of years ago) and claimed full ignorace of the US Flag code other than letting it touch the ground because then you have to burn it and then non-sense on the Texas Flag.

Since he didn't believe me, I asked if he had a few minutes to let me pull up the flag code online and I'd show him the sections he was violating, and he agreed. So we went over the not-to-be-worn section, not-to-touch-anything-below section and I tossed in the should-never-be-horizontal part.

He thanked me for educating him but said he would not change the way he would continue to wear the flag as he had been for the duration of the game and then afterwards would promise to never do it again.. I explained that as a US citizen, he has every right to disrespect the flag ans desecrate it but as a US serviceman, the fact that he was displaying the flag at odds with the Flag code, knowingly, seemed quite wrong. Also, it was an arbitrary timeframe he'd invented.

I offered to buy it from him for cash on me at the time ($55) to which he replied that he liked that flag, it was his flag and hurricane proof. Then he stated it was complex, repeated the line about the Olympians, pointing out that maybe only 5 people in the whole stadium knew about the US Flag Code and (paraphrasing) said he was a stubborn ass and that was why he would continue to treat the flag in a disrespectful manner.

So, two questions: I would think that all service members would be required to learn of the Flag Code, right? I have a hard time believing that Academy, OTC/OCS or ROTC graduates would not be taught the US Flag Code. It's not that long.

Most service members are also US Citizens - I would think that violations of Flag Code for a service member would be highly discouraged by the chain of command.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I 've never been in the service and I know about the code and about the flag. I treat it with much respect. I wasn't even born in this country, I was naturalized and I know that much. It's sad but what can you do, ignorance is at it's highest.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were taught flag code in the USAF (at least as enlisted folks).

I'm the same way about flag code and cannot stand to see someone being anti-patriotic in ignorance (thinking they're being quite the opposite).

It shows what little care folks have for the symbols of a country they never had to fight for - we're a generation of lazy Americans who don't respect what we have.

I fear that because of that, we'll either have to fight for it again or loose it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, two questions: I would think that all service members would be required to learn of the Flag Code, right? I have a hard time believing that Academy, OTC/OCS or ROTC graduates would not be taught the US Flag Code. It's not that long.

Most service members are also US Citizens - I would think that violations of Flag Code for a service member would be highly discouraged by the chain of command.

I believe they are taught the code...I was. But your questions assume the individual was actually a service member.

Flag code violations are discouraged by the chain of command, as is wearing a flight suit with 'patriotic hat and shoes' to a public sporting function. Which casts further doubt in my mind that he was a legit service member (although there are plenty of morons in the service).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people aren't being disrespectful, in fact they belive they are being patriotic. So go easy on them.

That was my point - it still doesn't excuse their actions. If you want to be patriotic, take the time to learn about what you're being patriotic about - otherwise, it makes for a lazy person who just wants to fit in or get attention.

If someone truly believes in what they're waving/wearing/talking about/etc... they should at least understand it first.

SMS - I was re-reading that OP and thinking the same thing, I don't know when wearing a flight suit with patriotic hats/shoes would be acceptable in any branch.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was my point - it still doesn't excuse their actions. If you want to be patriotic, take the time to learn about what you're being patriotic about - otherwise, it makes for a lazy person who just wants to fit in or get attention.

If someone truly believes in what they're waving/wearing/talking about/etc... they should at least understand it first.

SMS - I was re-reading that OP and thinking the same thing, I don't know when wearing a flight suit with patriotic hats/shoes would be acceptable in any branch.

:clap3: I agree

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people aren't being disrespectful, in fact they belive they are being patriotic. So go easy on them.

I understand that fact there, so I was trying to be cordial, rational and logical with him. When I hung my Texas flag on the wall, I checked the Flag code to ensure I was hanging it correctly. I just think that if you're going to buy a flag, you should understand the proper way to care for it. Ignorantly doing it and then doing it after it being pointed out are different though.

The way he was answering, I wasn't sure if he was an actual service member or not. He was trying to figure out who I was. He looked like a pilot wanna-be but I think he was too tall to actually be a pilot, though maybe other air crew potions weren't out of question. He was pretty tall, maybe 6'6" or 6'8" - I had to tilt my head back to look him in the eye though he was trying to posture some as well. (He seemed a little taller than my brother who's 6'6") In addition to the flight suit (no patches) he was sporting some aviation style mirror finish shades.

The AF drum and bugle core was right beside us was we were having our discussion along with a couple of (occupied) Sgts. I was hoping someone would have chimed in to back me, but no luck.

Razur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any problem w people wearing flag shirts, blankets, whatever.
It is patriotic and fun, esp for kids.
Did that all the time when I was a youth, and my father was active duty Air Force.

I don't like to see protesters burning the flag or splattering it with blood or whatever stupid crap they do.

I also don't like to see the flags outside at night, or are all torn up, particularly the ones outside fancy housing additions and gated communities.

I am a serviceman, am familiar with the Army OCS program, and I've not encountered the flag code before now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom