US Flag Code Violations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a little bit on the fence about this one. Just because the guy wasn't being proper with the flag doesn't mean he wasn't being patriotic but I also feel that you should treat the flag with respect and follow the code. I can't say that i'm perfect. I sometimes forget to flip the switch at night and light up my flag or leave it out in the rain because I'm at work. But I think if that your straight up told your wrong and you keep doing it, then your just ignorant.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The church across the street from my house had the boy scouts put up a pole and flag. For the first three days they took the flag in at night. Since they just leave it up all day and night. I wrote them about the lack of lighting, and their failure to take it to half mast, and take it in during bad weather.

Their response was FWD'd from the boy scouts of America, stating their was sufficient light in the area, and they felt that they were doing "enough" to be within the letter of the law.

It sickens me that they are teaching scouts to be lawyers and do as little as they can get away with by the letter of the law, instead of doing what they should do and understand the reason, and meaning of a law.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The church across the street from my house had the boy scouts put up a pole and flag. For the first three days they took the flag in at night. Since they just leave it up all day and night. I wrote them about the lack of lighting, and their failure to take it to half mast, and take it in during bad weather.

Their response was FWD'd from the boy scouts of America, stating their was sufficient light in the area, and they felt that they were doing "enough" to be within the letter of the law.

It sickens me that they are teaching scouts to be lawyers and do as little as they can get away with by the letter of the law, instead of doing what they should do and understand the reason, and meaning of a law.

The light is supposed to be shining ON THE FLAG.... gosh those ppl... uggg

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the Army we were definitely taught the Flag Code. We were also taught that as service members, if we went out "in uniform" we were to be IN UNIFORM (as in, within standards) which this individual sounds like he was not.

The average civilian displaying the flag in a patriotic yet non-compliant manner is not ok, but i am glad of where their loyalty lies and their high priority on being a proud american.

Soldiers of ANY branch, however, should hold themselves to a higher standard. Its too bad there was not a higher ranking uniformed officer around to tear this guy a new one.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of flying flags at half mast....

Is anyone aware of an email list, or text message service that sends notification on days in which the flag is to be flown at half mast?

I cant count the times I've been out driving around and noticed a flag was flying lowered and had no idea the reason.

-GK

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the Army we were definitely taught the Flag Code. We were also taught that as service members, if we went out "in uniform" we were to be IN UNIFORM (as in, within standards) which this individual sounds like he was not.

The average civilian displaying the flag in a patriotic yet non-compliant manner is not ok, but i am glad of where their loyalty lies and their high priority on being a proud american.

Soldiers of ANY branch, however, should hold themselves to a higher standard. Its too bad there was not a higher ranking uniformed officer around to tear this guy a new one.

I think you nailed man, :respect: In my Army career your @ss would be what was up the flag pole if you were caught doing anything like that. As members of our armed service we/they are and should be held to a higher standard. Well stated.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh and I should state the church and the boy scouts obviously felt the American flag was too much trouble and now have only an empty pole......

and we wonder where children develop their apathy......

Latest posts

Top Bottom