Vacation Plans for This Year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently moving around in Colorado and New Mexico enjoying the RV lifestyle. No masks despite the mandatory requirement that require them in businesses.
We do everything including grocery's online and use curbside pickup at other retail stores. Camp grounds and the mountain streams are mask free.
RV travel business is up 600% according to the internet. People don't want to fly, cruise ships shut down, train restrictions are like airlines, restrictions in the hotel/motel business make people not want to stay there and so on.

Dennis, you are living my one of my big bucket lists goals right now. Hoping once we move to OK in a year or so we get a nice large piece of land and add a 5th wheel to the mix. We really want to travel all around the Western US and Rocky Mountains from NM to the Canadian border. One of our other goals is to travel the Southeast US in the fall during college football season and attend multiple college football tailgates and games at schools like LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Georgia, etc. Ohhh yeah, and in 2024 there is another one of those massive eclipses we had several years ago. NOticed that Hot Springs, AR is right in the path of it and we want to be able to be in that area to see it. I really need to be retired in about 10 years, hopefully.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reminds me of when they were screening me as I entered my doctor's office... they asked have I been outside the state of Oklahoma in the last 14 days, I said no. They asked have a been around anyone who has been outside the state of Oklahoma in the last 14 days. I said not that I know of, but I thought... How would I know? Where you've been in the last 14 days is not a usual topic of conversation.

If you saw someone in public in NM, how would you know if they are spending the night or why they are there?
There is no enforcement other than mask nazi's. It's a mandate that nobody is following except businesses and some of them ignore it. The small towns that rely on tourism to survive aren't mask nazi's. It's the people visiting that are mask nazi's causing a ruckus.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, you are living my one of my big bucket lists goals right now. Hoping once we move to OK in a year or so we get a nice large piece of land and add a 5th wheel to the mix. We really want to travel all around the Western US and Rocky Mountains from NM to the Canadian border. One of our other goals is to travel the Southeast US in the fall during college football season and attend multiple college football tailgates and games at schools like LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Georgia, etc. Ohhh yeah, and in 2024 there is another one of those massive eclipses we had several years ago. noticed that Hot Springs, AR is right in the path of it and we want to be able to be in that area to see it. I really need to be retired in about 10 years, hopefully.
I'm telling you it is a great lifestyle to be in. Amazing the diversity of people we meet and interact with. Mostly couples, but there are some single men and women out on the road in RV's.
It's like there are no enemy's, everybody is a friend enjoying the same pursuit of happiness.(with a few minor exceptions) We have friends all over the country now, and make plans to meet in different locations while keeping in constant contact via the internet. Some are full timers that sold everything they own and travel across the country as a lifestyle. They like to joke they are homeless. One of our own Terry Miller is one of those "homeless". :D
We talked to him and his wife before starting this journey to get some tips and pointers. Wife is constantly browsing social media to get more knowledge and information about what to do and what not to do.
It's a steep learning curve at the beginning but interaction with others and social media gets one up to speed pretty quick.
Three couples friends are in the park where we are now and in a few weeks we will be moving to another location to meet 6 more couples in the same park for two to three weeks along with those with us now.
In the winter we all stay at the same park in South Tx near Brownsville, the same latitude as Miami Fla.
Happy hours, group dinners, group excursions go on daily. 18 hole golf course, pool halls, bars, dances weekly, Music concerts, Pickle ball, tennis, shuffleboard, Pilates, Yoga, workout equipment, all go on daily as well as huge pools, hot tubs, people teaching different arts and crafts, and so on. Every day there are 25-30 different events going on at the South Tx park. There are 1300 RV slips there inside of a gated and guarded community.
You cannot imagine how much fun this is.
Days spent walking pristine rivers with wild trout along with the greatest scenery in the world at your fingertips.
For some reason, I'm not allowed to post pics. I'm working on it.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
upload_2020-7-19_0-19-6.jpeg

upload_2020-7-19_0-19-49.jpeg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We're 10 mi N of Buena Vista on a 300 acre ranch, trout ponds and only one other person (owner).
Colo has mandatory mask rule as of yesterday.

I will say there are about 50% less people on the road up here.
Walmart in Salida was not very busy at 5pm yesterday.
All in all, seems people are staying home.
Do you personally know the owner or is this a place that you pay to stay? I love that part of CO. Many memories over the years.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I are planing to finally use our time share service to go to Vegas for a weekend. This isn't just a vaca (and we need it!), we are going for a the 18th birthday/HS graduation/college send off party for a girl we have known literally since birth. My wife was at the hospital when she was born and besides the parents was the first person to hold her. This young lady is astounding and gives me hope for the future. I'll never get to experience having a child of my own, but I get a glimmer of what its like watching her grow into the person she is today. So even with all this crap going on we are not going to miss this party!

garry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm telling you it is a great lifestyle to be in. Amazing the diversity of people we meet and interact with. Mostly couples, but there are some single men and women out on the road in RV's.
It's like there are no enemy's, everybody is a friend enjoying the same pursuit of happiness.(with a few minor exceptions) We have friends all over the country now, and make plans to meet in different locations while keeping in constant contact via the internet. Some are full timers that sold everything they own and travel across the country as a lifestyle. They like to joke they are homeless. One of our own Terry Miller is one of those "homeless". :D
We talked to him and his wife before starting this journey to get some tips and pointers. Wife is constantly browsing social media to get more knowledge and information about what to do and what not to do.
It's a steep learning curve at the beginning but interaction with others and social media gets one up to speed pretty quick.
Three couples friends are in the park where we are now and in a few weeks we will be moving to another location to meet 6 more couples in the same park for two to three weeks along with those with us now.
In the winter we all stay at the same park in South Tx near Brownsville, the same latitude as Miami Fla.
Happy hours, group dinners, group excursions go on daily. 18 hole golf course, pool halls, bars, dances weekly, Music concerts, Pickle ball, tennis, shuffleboard, Pilates, Yoga, workout equipment, all go on daily as well as huge pools, hot tubs, people teaching different arts and crafts, and so on. Every day there are 25-30 different events going on at the South Tx park. There are 1300 RV slips there inside of a gated and guarded community.
You cannot imagine how much fun this is.
Days spent walking pristine rivers with wild trout along with the greatest scenery in the world at your fingertips.
For some reason, I'm not allowed to post pics. I'm working on it.
What is the name of the park near Brownsville ?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to highjack the thread, but here's an idea. How about you folks post some suggestions for those of us who plan to stay 'close to home' if we vacation at all? I mean, places in Oklahoma everybody should visit. We've seen a lot of Oklahoma, but nowhere near all it has to offer. Or, places in nearby states that don't have severe restrictions for visitors. We want to do 'something,' but we don't plan on flying or going anywhere that has such stringent restrictions it takes all the fun out of it, or severely restricts movement. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom