Venison Chili Recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you had success doing this again? I entered a chili cook off when I first moved up here and nobody cared for my chili. I've decided to enter again this year and I'm searching for a new to me recipe.
Once and done in competitions but it is still my go to recipe since then. We had a lot of department dinners over the years. When someone mentioned chili, they always wanted mine.
Competition chili doesn’t allow beans which most folks enjoy so you need to come up with something to take it above and beyond. Too much heat will drive some of the judges to give low scores so have heat, but light heat and don’t forget the salt and pepper.
Experiment with adding a little beer or chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Be sure to remove the internal webbing and seeds where the heat is so all you get is the flavor.
practice with friends and family to get their honest opinions. Good luck!

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once and done in competitions but it is still my go to recipe since then. We had a lot of department dinners over the years. When someone mentioned chili, they always wanted mine.
Competition chili doesn’t allow beans which most folks enjoy so you need to come up with something to take it above and beyond. Too much heat will drive some of the judges to give low scores so have heat, but light heat and don’t forget the salt and pepper.
Experiment with adding a little beer or chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Be sure to remove the internal webbing and seeds where the heat is so all you get is the flavor.
practice with friends and family to get their honest opinions. Good luck!
I'm 99.9% sure it was the heat that got me last time and apparently the lack of beans. It seems ya'll enjoy beans in your chili. I'll make a batch of pintos and add them. I appreciate your feedback.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm 99.9% sure it was the heat that got me last time and apparently the lack of beans. It seems ya'll enjoy beans in your chili. I'll make a batch of pintos and add them. I appreciate your feedback.
If your competition allows beans and chunk tomatoes, add them right at the end before serving so they retain their firmness.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually do a 50/50 ground deer and beef. I don't add any fat to my deer when I grind it cause I use it to make jerky with also so I don't want any fat in it. The ground beef has the fat to help flavor the chili . Real chili doesn't have beans.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer meat should NEVER have a gamey smell or taste!

The last doe I killed, I did a double grind and made a fresh batch of chili, and not telling anyone that it was deer, all 22 people that are it on Christmas day, said it looked, smelled and tasted like beef, and most of them hated deer!

IMG_20211123_194204.jpg

IMG_20211123_194129.jpg

Plain and simple deer chili:

Brown 3 pounds of deer meat with 2 large white onions.

Add 5 cans of whole stewed tomatoes, lightly chopped.

Add a can of tomato sauce.

Add 3 cloves of sauteed garlic.

Add 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce.

2 teaspoons dried oregano.

2 teaspoons ground cumin.

1 ½ teaspoons paprika.

Add a 4 oz. can of diced chili peppers.

Add 12 to 15 tablespoons of Williams Chili Seasoning, depending on how spicy you like it.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer for 2 hours.

Depending on how you like your chili, add 3 to 4 cans of kidney beans, and simmer for another 30 minutes.

I cooked this for Christmas dinner and fed 22 people, with everyone having two to three helpings.

Some people covered their chili with cheese.

Some people put chili over a plate of spaghetti.

Some ate it with a dollop of sour cream.

I was hoping for leftovers, but all I got back was a clean pot with a request for more "deer" chili, even though everyone said they knew it was beef chili, because deer meat is nasty! I guess I fooled them. 😁

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gamey taste,pfffft. You city boys kill me with it. What the heck do you expect game to taste like, tuna fish?
That is just like everyone says they don't like fish because it has a fishy taste. HA
Do they say ewww I dont like those pork chops, that tastes porky? LOL
Believe it or not, I actually prefer a little game taste. If I wanted a washed out domesticated flavor I know where the meat counter is.

Anyway when you grow up and become big boys you learn that that giant buck you killed in the middle of the rut with a neck 15" through might probably have a little rutty taste to it. Other ages and sexes of deer are going to taste better as well as those bagged before or after peak rut.
The rest is proper care. get it gutted in the field. Get hide off and hanging as soon as possible and cooling down. Oh an by the way those giant brown spots on the inside of a deer's back legs at the mid joint? Yea those things flare open and a buck urinates across them and it drips down into a scrape. They are going to smell like a bottle of Tinks number 9 deer pee on steroids if you touch them with a knife so don't. I saw the back legs off right above those as there is nothing to eat below that anyway.
If the weather cooperates you can hang the deer a couple of days and it will remove some of the gamey flavor and the longer it hang it helps tenderize it. Makes makes the meat have a dry crackly coating on it for easier handling and butchering. Don't go past a couple of weeks though unless you are into a heavy aged beef type flavor.
If he is so rank with rut hormones you are still worried, you can debone and stick his butt in canning jars and that will remove all of it after that nukeing but it is extra work of canning. It will come out similar to the canned beef the Indian commodities gives to their people and can be ued the same as it is fully cooked already.
Or ......for dishes such as Chili. Who doesn't like Venison Chili in January? I don't really measure crap and just go by taste when adding ingredients until it tastes how I want it. Which is nothing short of delicious to me. You don't like Venison Chili? Why, that is un-American Mr. so here is mine.....

1or 2lb of pinto beans boiled until tender with a broth in a pot.
3-4lbs give or take of deer, Neck is nice for this, ribs ok the shoulders whatever you have as this is being boiled a while until it comes off the bones and then cubed fairly small say less than 3/4". You can used ground deer if you like that style, I prefer it chunky style is all.
2oz package of ground New Mexico chilles found in the ethnic food section.
You can add some sliced hot peppers or cubed tomatoes or diced onion if you have them but they are not imperative, just extra.
Ground Cumin
Cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt to taste.
After you meat has boiled until tender,pones remove and cubed up in a large stock pot add the beans with the juice to your meat. A few fresh sliced pepper,an onion or tomatoes if you want. I sometime don't
Now dump about a teaspoon or so of cumin, a big dollop of the New Mexico Chilli powder(Don't be shy here, Yur makin chili dangit and I use at least half the package and sometime all of it no matter).
Now add some cayenne red pepper, black pepper and salt to taste. let simmer on the stove on low heat to let the flavors start to combine and for cripes sakes quit lickin the spoon. Final adjust the seasonings to your taste and all that is left to do is the thickening.
To thicken I use masa flour but you can use regular flour is you have to. Mix about a qtr cup with some warm water in a bowl or measuring cup and stir to saucey consistency so as not to make lump when you add it to the chili. Now with the chili on low heat start pouring your thickening mixture in as you are stirring the chilli. You can add more flour/water as needed until you reach the desired consistency you like. Lower the heat and your basically done.
Now all that is left is the fun part the eatin. This makes a bunch but I don't like to cook every day and you can freeze some if your a slow eater. I never have this problem at my house after I make this stuff I usually have plenty of volunteers standin in line with there poridge bowl out smilin like a possum.
Eat Drink and Be Merry
For it is all we have.

Last edited:

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deer meat should NEVER have a gamey smell or taste!

The last doe I killed, I did a double grind and made a fresh batch of chili, and not telling anyone that it was deer, all 22 people that are it on Christmas day, said it looked, smelled and tasted like beef, and most of them hated deer!

View attachment 242367

View attachment 242368

Plain and simple deer chili:

Brown 3 pounds of deer meat with 2 large white onions.

Add 5 cans of whole stewed tomatoes, lightly chopped.

Add a can of tomato sauce.

Add 3 cloves of sauteed garlic.

Add 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce.

2 teaspoons dried oregano.

2 teaspoons ground cumin.

1 ½ teaspoons paprika.

Add a 4 oz. can of diced chili peppers.

Add 12 to 15 tablespoons of Williams Chili Seasoning, depending on how spicy you like it.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer for 2 hours.

Depending on how you like your chili, add 3 to 4 cans of kidney beans, and simmer for another 30 minutes.

I cooked this for Christmas dinner and fed 22 people, with everyone having two to three helpings.

Some people covered their chili with cheese.

Some people put chili over a plate of spaghetti.

Some ate it with a dollop of sour cream.

I was hoping for leftovers, but all I got back was a clean pot with a request for more "deer" chili, even though everyone said they knew it was beef chili, because deer meat is nasty! I guess I fooled them. 😁
Thank you sir

OKBPS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have a good recipe they would be willing to share? I made a batch the other night and my wife says it's too gamey. Looking to spice it up a bit, thanks.
"my wife says it's too gamey"

My wife adds 2 beef bullion cubes to her chili and roast and then slow cooks it all day in the crock pot. However, I also butcher my own deer and it gets soaked in cold salt water usually for a day, off the bone, and rinsed good before I cut and wrap. If you dont process it yourself you could probbly try soaking it in salt water before you cook it as well. Make sure you use non iodized salt and go easy with it or it will taste salty. I have never had a complaint about my deer being gamey doing this and we also grill a lot of deer steak. Field care and processing are also important. One thing we do that most people dont is use stew meat and not ground.

Last edited:

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
I promise this is the best chili recipe you will ever find, however it will not change the quality of the meat being used. The quality of the meat you end up with starts immediately after the kill. Proper field care is everything. With that said, give this one a go. You will not be disappointed.

Venison Chili

VENISON CHILI​

Steven Rinella
STEVEN RINELLADec 20, 2017
  • COURSE​

Main
CHEF’S NOTES
SHOW INGREDIENTS
Ground meat tends to become a surplus for hunters throughout the season. Chili is a go to recipe for people when they want to use up that meat. This is a chili recipe that strays away from the traditional. Use this recipe if you’re in the mood for something more flavorful and sophisticated than an old time chili recipe.

Brought to you by Weston
Equipment available from westonsupply.com

INGREDIENTS​

• 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, divided
  • 2 1/4 lbs ground venison
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 large poblanos, stemmed and diced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 tbsp. ancho chile powder, or to taste
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 3 tbsp. minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (canned usually in.mexican section of the grocery store)
  • 3 (14.5-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, preferably in tomato puree
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans small red beans, kidney beans, or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3 cups beef stock
Serving Ingredients
  • Corn chips
  • Shredded sharp cheddar or Pepper jack cheese
  • Sour cream
  • Diced red onions or sliced scallions
  • Sliced jalapenos or serrano chiles

PREPARATION​

1. Heat a large Dutch oven or other wide, heavy saucepot over medium-high heat.
  2. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil.
  3. Sprinkle the venison generously with salt and pepper.
  4. Working in batches, crumble the venison into large chunks into the pot and sear until browned, transferring to a large bowl as done, 6 to 8 minutes per batch, adding more oil as needed.
  5. Reduce the heat to medium. (If working on an electric range, you may need to remove the pot from heat to let it cool down a bit.)
  6. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, the poblanos, and onions, scraping up the browned bits at the bottom of the pot to cool it down a little faster.
  7. Return to the heat and cook, stirring often, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
  8. Stir in the garlic, chile powder, cumin, and oregano and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
  9. Add the chipotles and tomatoes, crushing the tomatoes with your hands or mashing with a potato masher, half of the beans, the stock, and the venison with any juices that have accumulated in the bowl.
  10. Stir to combine, then bring to a simmer.
    Transfer all contents to a slow cooker.
  11. Cook partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the venison is tender, about 2 hours.
  12. Add the remaining beans and warm through. Adjust seasonings.
  13. Serve the chili with the corn chips, cheese, sour cream, onions or scallions, and chiles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom