Canning question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lately I've taken to canning my Big Green Egg smoked chili. It's just easier to pop open a jar and warm it up. I've been doing it without beans because it's easy enough to also pop open a pint and throw some in. No problem with that.

Today's batch came up a bit short and I'm wondering if going ahead and putting some in will mess things up. It would mean the beans go through two pressure canning cycles.

Thoughts?

And yes, I'm putting some beans in my chili whether you like it or not. HA! :flamed:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bean "soup" in your chili isn't a bad thing. I cooked a ton of chili for the guys at the power plant before retiring, and pureed the beans before adding to the chili which acted as a thickener and gave it the bean flavor which nobody objected to. I think the anti bean people are more about texture and tradition vs flavor.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's just easier to pop open a jar and warm it up. I've been doing it without beans because it's easy enough to also pop open a pint and throw some in. :flamed:
Slightly off topic but still on the beans, I've never used canned pinto beans until last night when making some borracha beans, or drunken beans as some are called. Dakota brand from Aldi's.
Those are some seriously good beans that will go into my cooking cycle of dinners and making dinners for friends if needing to do something quick.
Otherwise, it will be pinto beans cooked from scratch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom