Wanting to build a small house with cash.. Best design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's wrong with OSB? Seems like it's used in most new houses.

I don't know if it's true, but a firefighter once told me OSB is a terrible thing to have catch fire. Burning molten plastic dripping down and igniting everything below. Has anyone else heard this?

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome advice so far. Thanks. When I mentioned the OSB I was mostly talking about how building with piers and beams adds up to the same or more than a slab. That applies to a plywood floor done right as well.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.jpg

I was considering something like this.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since 2003 I have had built two 16x30 wood cabins, a 30x40 metal-skinned pole barn and a 30x65 metal-skinned pole barn. Actually I had them built because when I started running the numbers I couldn't really build them myself for any less money than I could have them built (if I valued my time even minimally.) The wood cabins were showing their age earlier this year after the tornado/hail storm that came through Sand Springs so we ended up having them covered in metal to match the pole barns and we are very happy with the end result.

If I were building a new house out there today, I would have the biggest concrete slab pole barn with metal siding built that I could afford and then finish it off myself on the inside. I would probably make it tall enough to make a two-story home on the inside, or likely have shop/garage on the lower level and living on the upper. This would make designing any plumbing after the fact pretty easy. I would definitely have the company that builds the building install rodent guard and the foam insulation, but I would do everything else. On my cabins I did all of the interior walls and electrical. We actually have a small outhouse with some pumped water for the sink and shower and a biological toilet.

Feel free to PM me if you want to shoot the bull about it. I also have a company that I've worked with and they have done a really good job for me on all of these projects.

Bryan

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me wanting a low-budget cabin that didn't need to meet codes, I'd shop around at the shed builders and have one of them deliver the biggest pre-built that they have. Those are pretty affordable when compared to buying materials and building yourself. Write one check and it's delivered that afternoon. Then, I'd put my time and energy into insulating and finishing out the interior.

Latest posts

Top Bottom